Weber GA vs. Weber SJ for Smoking MAINLY

A

achilles00775

Hi,

I'm a single male college student planning on only cooking for one.

I live on dorm with no balcony, so any outdoor cooking has to be taken outside and walked a distance down towards the park benches-- there are no areas to drive. So, portable is a must- which limits my options down to Weber Go Anywhere or a Weber Smokey Joe. Kettle is too much to haul around like that.

I plan on smoking much more than grilling. I know these two tools aren't the most ideal for this. But which would you recommend for smoking?

If you're smoking, it won't be for one for long. You'll make friends fast, so probably the Smokey Joe because you'll have the option of expanding it later to a mini WSM like StevieG said.

Weber Jumbo Joe, it is an 18.5 portable grill that you could smoke in it, it has a lid bale that locks the lid to the bowl.

if those are the only choice then the ga. but if you are up to sitting there a long time then look into the sj mini smoker. i wonder if you mean cooking indirect ? but the suggestion of the new jumbo joe is a very good alternative.

Search for phubar's threads re WGA cooks - you'll get to see what a penomenal little cooker the WGA can be. That being said, if you can build a mini WSM out of a SJS or SJG you can do lo n slo cooks as well as grilling. Folks have done pork butts, etc in the mini WSM - it can hold heat for several hours.

For very small smokes I would reccomend the WGA over the WSJ but for some bigger cooks I'd go for a WSJ and tamale pot mini smoker.

Back