Venison question

BigBobBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok for all you hunters out there I have a question. I live in Florida so our deer are not very big maybe 120 lbs and this weekend my uncle killed one and gave it to me and my mother. I have to cut it up and decide what to do with it. I was wondering since I know the shoulders are the toughest parts if I wrap it in bacon and put it on the smoker will it still be like chewing shoe leather or will it do like with other tough cuts of meat and help tenderize it some? I have always used the shoulder for stews and such since it is so tough but was wondering if anyone has any insight into smoking a shoulder or if that won't help maybe I can make jerky with them.

Wrapping in bacon certainly helps, but influences the flavor.

I have never smoked one but If I was gonna I would do it hot and fast and leave it rare.

I have done shoulders on the open pit over the hot coals about 12 inches depending on the wind. I watch it closely and take it off rare. Then slice it as thin as possible across the grain.

Otherwise braiseing is a real good way. Put it in a covered oven safe pot or dutch oven with butter, red wine, apples, carrots, bay leaf, garlic, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. 350 degrees and cook a long time depending on weight till meat is completely tender. Good Stuff!!

I've only done two hind legs of venison and cooked them similar to the way Capozzoli did. With some variations of course. First, marinated them in a soy sauce based marinade for about 4 hours. Cooked indirect in a kettle to 110° internal with 1/4" thick slices beef suet draped on top. At 110°, seared both sides for a couple of minutes, then back to indirect till a nice rare/medium rare. Around 125° internal. Perfect enough for me!

PB060370.jpg

When I was a teenager, some friends I used to hunt with would take a shoulder and salt and pepper it, add barbecue sauce, and double wrap it in aluminum foil and slowly cook it over the camp fire. It was always fall apart tender.

As an whitetail hunter in NW Iowa where the deer are big, sorry had to through that in. I have never saved any meat on the front shoulder for smoking, everyone up here pretty much uses it for grinding for either making sausage or hamburger or jerky. I use the good cuts of meat out of the hinds for making whole meat jerky, steaks from the tender loins and back straps. The balance all the trimmings for ground jerky meat. Let us know how it turns out if you smoke it.

I have not had a chance to smoke one yet, but I would not use a deer's front shoulder. Theres just to many small muscles and sinue and ligaments. To me front shoulder should be cut up for stew meat or ground.

thanks for the replies I kind of figured I would have to use it for stew or jerky I will try brazing one but I may try one of them just for the heck of it and see how it turns out just for experimenting.

Back