• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Festival Gig - Success

Q

Qcrue2U

Dear Brethren,

My Catering compnay finished with the Morro Bay Harbor Festival. Huge success but only Sunday...

Got there Friday at 3:00pm. I loaded the uHaul by myself and unloaded all my gear. I setup and left the area about 6:30pm. I was pretty tired. I couldnt sleep Friday night Saturday morning... so got up at 4:30am and started my day. Low and behold it started to sprinkle about 6:00am. We left for the event at 7:00 and at that time was raining.. We arrived at 7:30 to find the area completly saturated with water. We were on a slope and had a nice puddle between the pits and the tent. We finally got the water off the gear and started to prep for the day. Started serving at 10:00am and It started to rain again... Oh well... we kept going! The HD came by at 10:30am - bright and early!!! We were ready for them and passed all categories! (meat temp in coolers, warming/holding temps, wash, rinse, sanitize ph levels, drink cooler temps, etc) :)

It rained pretty much all morning until about 2:00pm. Event lasted until 6:00pm but the majority of people made plans... Was a very slow and wet day.

Picture188.jpg

Sunday morning was much better. I woke up about 5:00am a bit more sleep but not much, I was into the gig for a bunch of money!!! :icon_smil

Started selling food at 10:00am HD came by again this time at 10:05. We passed again and off to the races we went!

Picture195.jpg

Fire department came by around noon... Offered him a Tritip sammy he thought it was a bribe! ahahhahah Anyway - all my pits were fine, and I had my fire extinguisher... so he left and was content with our setup!

The event was like mini San Francisco. Tents basically 2 inches apart from each other... It was tight...

We were battling with the local GAFC (Great American Fish Company) They kept yellin TRITIP SANDWICHES... we rebuttled SMOKED TRITIP SAMMIES!... I would then callout EACH TIME we sold a SAMMY!! It was great... We heard them in the morning, by mid afternoon, you only heard our calls till closing!!

We served = Breakfast burritos, Hot dogs, Cheeseburgers, Soy Burgers, Chicken Ceasar Salad, Grilled mushrooms/onions, Chicken sammys, Tritip sammys, Brucetta, Nachos, Chili, and drinks!

Picture190.jpg

Line was constant around our tent, neighbors were pissed! :mrgreen:
We ran specials all day and slashed our prices at the end!!
Im sorry I dont have more pics but the patrons came in pefect sets of waves... Huge ordering, then just enough for me to start reprepping then a new rush.. Wa like that all day... We once had 25 tickets up at once with all Tritip sammys (my biggest money maker) :twisted:

The Eatery accomplished this event with a 3 person crew in the morning and a 5 person crew the rest of the day.
Picture203.jpg

Sunday we pulled out all the stops. Had to make some money, and a bunch of money at that... We made flyers and handed them out, we had sandwhich boards pointing to us. We even had return customers!! KICKARSE!!

All in all was a fun and stressful time. :!:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! What a ride, huh?:wink:
Sounds like you had a grip on everything, and I liked the funny story about the fish people trying to outdo you.:mrgreen:
Congratulations on your success, bro!

That's one helluva camp/kitchen you had there! Sounds like a real blast. Congrats on soggy success!

I'm sure it was alot of work. How did it end up for you? Was it worth it all ?

The work must have been a killer, but the success had to be sweet. :eusa_clap Congrats.

What's up with the PH levels? What's that all about? Can someone explain?

The event was worth it for a couple of reasons...
1.) I found out my team can handle larger events.
2.) I found out that my assumption in food purchasing needs are pretty close to reality.
3.) Did make my money back but no profit.. Which was ok for the first big event. If Sat was like Sunday, we would have seen profit..

The ph levels are required in California. There must be a 3 tub cleaning station with paper towels, hands free water, hands free soap. First tub is soapy warm water at 90 degrees. Second tub is 90 degree water for rinse. 3rd tub is a capfull of bleach for a sanitize solution. Then tools, etc must be lied out on clean towel for air dry.

I am so glad it all went well for you and your crew! And at least you didn't lose money, but it was probably good experience. :D

Back