The Frozen Pizza Experiment

beercuer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ever wonder what a frozen pizza might be like if done on the Barbie? I have, and decided to share my observations with you. I selected my favorite, a store generic, that is not too dissimilar from the "Freschetta" brand. I was running really low on energy yesterday, and figured the time was ripe for it. That, and something about combining pepperoni, Italian sausage, and ground beef I could not resist. Here is a pic of the box:

Sure doesn't look as pretty once taken out of the box though:

Hmmmm.... Think I'll doctor this up a bit with some sliced red bell pepper, olives, and pickled jalapenos:

So far so good. Let's get it started. I thought to add a little mesquite to this indirect cook:

After about 35 minutes of a lower temp with smoke, pizza was done:

Let's get this pizza on the plate and try it. I must say, of coarse nothing beats the experience of a homemade pizza, but taking a frozen variety to the pit sure takes it up a few notches. The difference is certainly significant enough to warrant doing it again (and again).

Just a little sacrificial offering to the pizza gods. :grin:

That actually looks real good. I think I will give it a try. Did you try to get the cook temp close to the box directions?

That actually looks real good. I think I will give it a try. Did you try to get the cook temp close to the box directions?
Thank you Onexchef!

Box directions call for 425 degrees. I actually went about 325-350. The general rule of thumb is that the higher the heat, the crustier the dough. However, you can still achieve a certain level of crustiness by increasing the time. Moreover, if the dough has a considerable amount of fat or sugar in it, you definitely want a lower temp so as to not burn it. My primary goal here was to extend the time to infuse the pizza with more mesquite smoke. More flavor seems to develop within the dough as well. A few extra minutes actually produced a mildly crisp bottom with a pillowy interior. :grin:

Back