How long will smoked sausage last in fridge

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I made 5# of summer sausage and 5# of andouille last saturday. The summer has 3tb of tenderquick and the andouille had 1tsp of pink salt. I smoked it to 155*, the andouille on Sunday and the Summer on Wednesday. I vacuum sealed up small packages today.

My plan is to eat/hand out on Christmas. Any thoughts on how long it can stay in the fridge both in vacuum sealed and then once opened? I got some ideas, but I'm not sure if they are based on fact or old bad habits.

Thanks,

They'll keep for a while, but, I freeze anything I'm not using within 4-5 days (smoked) or 1-2 days (fresh). Just me and YMMV!

It depends on how hungry I am...

Trust the piggie's post though...

If I don't plan on eating them in a week or so I freeze em.
The smoke and the curing will take care of a lot of the nasties and they are in the fridge...but why chance having to throw away perfectly good sausage

:doh:Until it grows hair or you eat it which ever occurs first:crazy:

Thanks for the responses. Probably better safe than sorry.

I was actually thinking they probably were good unsealed for almost two weeks, and vac sealed probably a month or so. It just seems a bit silly to freeze them for about 5 days and then start defrosting again unless needed.

It would "probably" be OK, but all it takes is someone to not close the fridge completely or some other slight calamity to let the cooties loose on all your work. Don't ask me how I know this or where the body is buried. :twisted:

Back