Cast iron skillet/griddle on Weber Kettle

Blowin' Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone use a cast iron skillet or griddle on a weber kettle? I am trying to become more versatile with my grills/smokers as we have a baby now. My wife is usually busy tending the baby, so if I can expand my functionality for dinner to include meat and veggies, I am contributing AND I get to play with my toys.
I've put like a 9" skillet on my grill before to cook some fish, but I didn't put any oil or anything in it because I was afraid that cooking with oil over fire may cause a problem. The fish stuck, no bueno. Does anyone use CI on their kettles? If so do you use a regular skillet or a flat griddle? Do you use oil? Any help is appreciated!

Cook away, all will be fine. People cook with oil on wood and gas stoves all the time. Weber sells a CI insert for their kettle Gourmet system.

yes yes. CI on everything! No worries on a fire. Also, craycort grates are nice and you have different insert options.

Now that cooler weather is coming I'll be breaking out my CI dutch oven for use in the kettle. I take off the cooking grate and put it directly on the coals.
I've used all of my CI on the kettle.

I have a gas range and use my Lodge skillets there and on my smokey Joe when I'm cooking something I don't want the house to smell like hours later.

Yes. I have CI skillets, Dutch Oven, and a griddle. I've used them all on gas and fire.
I have a Blackstone, so the griddle doesn't see much light anymore. But all my other CI works great anywhere.

I've never had a problem using my cast iron on my Webers. I carry a propane stove to deer camp to use my cast skillets, but since we take one of my Webers for grilling at camp, I just use the Weber as a stove if I already had it fired up for grilling. Only thing is getting the temp right. It doesn't take long to figure it out though. If using oil, to flame up it would either have to be overloaded and boil over or the oil would have to get so hot that it hits its flash point. Either of those are easily avoided same as using your cast iron in the kitchen. I'd recommend not using it near a flammable structure if using oil just to be safe.

What kind of stuff do you cook on your skillet on the grill? I think the skillet I have is 9", and I usually set my weber up for 1/2 direct, 1/2 indirect. Do you keep the skillet over direct the whole time?
My kettle has the gourmet system, but I never got the skillet or the cast iron grate insert because I usually never set my grill up with the fire in the center. I almost always have coals on one side only for direct/indirect.

I don't use the rack, I place the cast iron griddle directly on top of the hot coals. That's how I cook steak.

Coat griddle with rice bran oil (high smoke point), drop the steaks. I flip every three minutes, pull in 12 minutes, coat with melted butter, serve.

I broke out a cast iron skillet for the first time outdoors this weekend. I finished a long smoke on the WSM and took the middle section off, threw the top grate on top of the charcoal ring and grilled a batch of sea scallops over the remaining coals. They cooked well and the pan cleaned up well.

I have zero ventilation in the kitchen (electric stovetop on the island) so it's virtually impossible to cook anything high heat due to the smoke build up. CI on the Kettle/WSM will be my go to now.

What kind of stuff do you cook on your skillet on the grill? I think the skillet I have is 9", and I usually set my weber up for 1/2 direct, 1/2 indirect. Do you keep the skillet over direct the whole time?
My kettle has the gourmet system, but I never got the skillet or the cast iron grate insert because I usually never set my grill up with the fire in the center. I almost always have coals on one side only for direct/indirect.

There are a lot of coal arrangement options.
www-bbqviking-com-charcoal-setup1.png

I don't use the rack, I place the cast iron griddle directly on top of the hot coals. That's how I cook steak.

Coat griddle with rice bran oil (high smoke point), drop the steaks. I flip every three minutes, pull in 12 minutes, coat with melted butter, serve.

You're just one step away from a true caveman style steak, grilled directly on the coals.

I use Lodge cast iron on the grill, in fact I bought some smaller ones specifically for doing sides. Don't be afraid to use oil--just treat the grill like your stove or oven and cook things like you normally would, but with some delicious smokey flavor.

I was thinking about this same thing this weekend when I was shopping. I got a couple steaks, some shrimps, and a big potato that I plan to cook tomorrow night. I figured I'd cut the potato into big wedges, microwave for a couple minutes to get the inside cooking, and then throw them into an oiled cast iron pan on the grill to sear the outside while the steaks and shrimp are doing the reverse sear. Sound like a plan?

I cook a lot of stuff in misc cast iron pieces outside on my Weber. My CI double griddle fits my WGA pretty well, I build a small double-layer charcoal fire in the center and cook a burger patty over the heat, toast the buns to the sides.

Check out cowgirl's breakfast cook over an open fire:

A Charcoal Griddle Breakfast
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215878

Most certainly, CI on my BGE at extremely high temperatures.:thumb:

Sittin in the dark in SW FL.

I have a few cast iron fry pans we use including a Le Creuset. That is/was red on the outside. Using the painted ones will discolor the underside.

Back