boston butt

brucesieg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
going to costco to buy a boston butt today, i need a little assistance with it. i never tried it before and need to be walked thru the process. i need to know correct temps, what i spray it with while it cooks and if i should foil it or not. also, i am using a kettle so obviosly temps may be a little higher. i have rubs i just got in from hawgeyes site unless someone has a better idea . thanks

Bruce is just trying to get his post count to 100 before next Friday. 14 to go - pump brother pump

Bruce

Temps should be the kettle, the WSM, a MOAB or even in your home oven. On a kettle, you'l have more trouble keeping them steady, but the range is the same. At least IMHO.

Honestly, higher temps have not hurt butts I've done in the past. Once when I first tried a butt on an ECB with no mods I couldn't get the temp of the ECB above 180 degrees. After 6 hours of fighting it the coal pan was full of ash and wouldn't take one more piece of charcoal. I was so ticked off I wrapped the butt in foil and stuck it on the gas weber on medium. Chamber temps were probably in the 325-350 range and took the meat temps from ~125 to 190 in about 45 minutes. Wasn't quite as easy to pull as butts I've done since 100% on the BSKD, but it wasn't too bad at all.

I wouldn't advocate this method of Q'ing on a regular basis, but like I say, higher temps in the kettle shouldn't have any adverse action on your Q.

you can peg a kettle, using 8-10 briquettes in the charcoal holders.

One of my best bb's was done in a kettle at around 235*

8-10 per side got you 235 * ?

my butt

i actually attempted a butt once before and it went well until i got too drunk and fell asleep around 5am, ruined it all, next morning i salvaged a little for a few sandwiches. haven't tried since. thanks for the advice will start it 7 am tomorrow. will throw some nutmeg in the rub and spray with cherry apple juice. only 13 to go tommy

Re: RE: boston butt

brdbbq said:
you can peg a kettle, using 8-10 briquettes in the charcoal holders.

One of my best bb's was done in a kettle at around 235*

8-10, one side, with 2-3 chunks of hickory (fully light and flaming)

Each briquette = 20*, then the rest is hickory heat,

granted, in 2 hours when you add 8-10 more, you really have like 15 worth.

And I guess I dont have a true charcoal basket. I offset by piling up on one side

the butt

i just prepped the butt i bought from the local butcher 7 lbs with bone in about 20.00. i put mustard all over it then i applied nutmeg mixed with bad byrons butt rub. i foiled it up put it in the fridge to start 7am. i also bought a new temp gauge a redi check roast alert 3 to use in my new venture. thanks for any more advice

RE: Re: the butt

I saw the biggest butt I've ever seen at Sam's today... When she moved aside :) , I found a 13+ lb butt in the meat case! $1.49/lb. I should have bought it, but I have two in the freezer already...

RE: Re: the butt

you bet that lil dink it did. WSM is the machine.

it went well until i got too drunk and fell asleep around 5am

as I said last Bash - no one can keep up you NY'ers when it comes to dinkin' (oops missed the 'r')

I saw the biggest butt I've ever seen at Sam's today

LFMAO thanks

bash

i actually remember us nyers staying awake and some of you non nyers wasted and out by 9pm.

mustard

butt went on about 10 am been spraying with cherry juice apple juice combo and have bourbon in another sprayer. using briquettes and hickory pieces 8-10 each side. i farked up my new temp gaugue have to go buy a new one. i will keep in touch.

my butt

i am at about 165 3-4 hours in. im still spraying with the apple-cherry combo and occasionally with some bourbon.

i tell you i was pretyy proud of myself. it was 9 and a half hours when it reached 220, stuck it in a cooler and drove an hour to my buddys house.
by the time i got there it was perfect. that bad byrons butt rub was excellent. and the cherry apple combo spray witha touch of bourbon worked well(thanks poobah)

Back