Catering Insurance Quote

J

jvreeland

So we are getting the Catering thing moving and have gotten quite far down the checklist and passed the Health Department hurdle (still standing :p) and have moved onto the General Liability Insurance.

I have read on another forum that Auto Owners had quoted some good quotes to other BBQ Caters across the country so I looked up their website and found my local agent. We called all of the insurance agents and were priced anywhere from $800 - $1000 per year.

When the local Auto Owners folks finally got back to us they quoted us a million dollars in coverage for $268.00 - a year!!

We were blown away by this - and also felt obligated to share with other BBQers the good news. So if yours is running our or you are need of some coverage - take a look at their website and find your local agent. It is definitely worth it.

i have state farm and mine is 300.00 an year
so i am not far off

york

What were some of the main point of information they needed from you to establish that rate? What did they want to know? Was the estimated # of gigs part of it? Just trying to get a handle on what to expect them to want to know and how to get that kind of good rate. Thanks

What were some of the main point of information they needed from you to establish that rate? What did they want to know? Was the estimated # of gigs part of it? Just trying to get a handle on what to expect them to want to know and how to get that kind of good rate. Thanks

They wanted to know what our estimated gross income (before expenses) would be. I just throughout $10,000 and told them that was our goal for the upcoming year. The other questions were more along the lines of what type of business setup we had (partnership), Federal Tax ID, address, and surprisingly they wanted to know if it was an open pit we used to cook the BBQ.

Rather than that there was nothing else out of the ordinary.

Hope that answers your questions.

I've had state farm as either my house or car insurance for the last ten years. They were the first people I called. The first thing they told me was they wouldn't insure anyone that hasn't been open for business for at least 2 years. What? Ya didn't make sense to me either.

The main questions I got asked were:

do you have company owned facility you will be cooking in, ie a comerical kitchen (this will have to be insured) for us the answer was no

vehicles to be insured: for us none,

do you vend to the public or do you sell to individuals. ie are you a contract cook or a vendor/street cart kinda set up. we are set up as a contract cook/caterer

one company wanted to know how much money we expected to make in a year.

also do you want to insure you cooker.

# of gigs i plan on doing an year - 12
did the Health dept pass me
how many years have i been cooking on the KCBS

that is what state farm wanted to know

york

A minimum policy here in $750
But LOL thats here everything is higher

one company wanted to know how much money we expected to make in a year.

This is a relevant question, perhaps not so much for your first year but it will be written into the policy that they reserve the right to review your policy based on earnings, if you let it be known you made LOTS of money last year and you are still so surprised how low your quote for insurance is.

Don't be dumbfounded when your insurer comes back with a much higher quote to cover the perceived additional liability, they may have been exposed to by your great success.

If you want to actually know what they say they are covering, and what it all means, read your policy documents with a magnifying glass to be able to read all the fine print.

Back