panko onion rings

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

pretty tasty, but it needs more work. flour, buttermilk, panko bread crumbs and then shallow fry in the dutch oven till browned

twoturkeybreasts-027.jpg

twoturkeybreasts-031.jpg

twoturkeybreasts-047.jpg

twoturkeybreasts-043.jpg

or maybe another beer :biggrin:

i double dipped one of them. i think i need a better binder like egg or something. the original recipe marinaded the rings first in a teriyaki

Hey Rick,

You nailed 'em. Sure, you can get more panko on something like shrimp or an oyster, but the purpose is enhancement not looks. That amount is perfect for an onion ring.

One thing to try is soaking the rings in buttermilk for an hour or so, then do a flour / egg wash / panko thing.

thanks guys... these were very crunchy and they tasted great, but they just aren't regular onion rings. they were a little hard to eat without making a mess because they came apart easily. i think they would be killer on a burger.

What about first hitting them with a traditional batter for coverage ... and then a second coating with the panko?

yep, that's an option too. there are so many possibilities. practice, practice, practice! :biggrin:

Those look good man. If you want more "crust", trytossing in flour, egg wash, then try mixing some flour in with the panko. I do this when i make onion straws for green been casserole and they have a nice crunch that is different, but yet more crust than i got with just panko. You take some great pics man.

rick, i have a recipe for guiness beer battered onion rings. pm me if ya wanna give it a try. they'd be great with some walleye :)

I've used a basic shiner bock batter for rings, but didn't put panko on them... Breading is a lot different than batter, though. You might try a thicker batter, and sprinkle on the panko very quickly before frying.

I let my rings sit in the fridge overnght. It dries them, and lets the batter stick better during frying.

I've used a basic shiner bock batter for rings, but didn't put panko on them... Breading is a lot different than batter, though. You might try a thicker batter, and sprinkle on the panko very quickly before frying.

Abusing the Shiner in that way will get you no brownie points here! Rick, how do ya like the Winter Ale?

Looking good Rick - you cooked them on one of the eggs I assume? I want to get a few pieces of CI and start cooking more on the egg.

Back