My new addition

J

Jack2u2

Well, my WMS arrived today. Not a dent, ding or scratch. Put it together, and now have to wait for the weekend to cook.
Question.....
Where do most of you put a thermometer on the WSM. I know it'll most likely go in the lid, but I'm not sure where! Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 162
I took a wine cork and rammed a long stemmed thermometer through it. Then plugged it into one of the holes in the top vent. Permenantly set at open with two holes for exhaust but never an issue with temp control, use the bottom vents for that. Scott

Right Here!

Mounted opposite the vent.

Temp-1.jpg

JimT

I use a thermometer and cork also-but remove it after cooks to close the vent to choke out the charcoal that is left- I also sometimes hang the probe of my wireless maverick in the vent hole instead of the cork, this way makes better air flow by not blocking 1 hole

i just drop the thermometer in one of the top vent openings. no cork. simple and works just fine.

not the best photo, but you can see the thermometer sitting in the top vent holes.

039.jpg

BBQ Guru sells a real nice thermometer with a silicon plug that fits right in one of the vent holes. The therm is made by tel-tru, a trusted manufacturer. I've had mine for a few years, sits outside in the WSM lid year round, and is still 212 in boiling water.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=138

Also, get a set of the Guru WSM eyelets while your at it. At some point your going to want to feed digital therm, guru, or stoker probes into your WSM, and these are very nice.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=136

I took a wine cork and rammed a long stemmed thermometer through it. Then plugged it into one of the holes in the top vent. Permenantly set at open with two holes for exhaust but never an issue with temp control, use the bottom vents for that. Scott
I do the exact same thing.......I use my deep fryer therm. The probe will almost reach the grate level. Drilling a hole through the cork will make it easier.

Congrads on the new smoker. I mounted mine on the lid like Jim T did. I just used a Unibit and it only took about 5 minutes, great mod. If I still had mine I would put one on the side of the center chamber as well.

BBQ Guru sells a real nice thermometer with a silicon plug that fits right in one of the vent holes. The therm is made by tel-tru, a trusted manufacturer. I've had mine for a few years, sits outside in the WSM lid year round, and is still 212 in boiling water.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=138

Also, get a set of the Guru WSM eyelets while your at it. At some point your going to want to feed digital therm, guru, or stoker probes into your WSM, and these are very nice.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=36&idproduct=136

These 2 items are worth their weight in gold.

You will want the eyelets because you will want to monitor the meat temps without opening the lid with something like the Maverick ET-73. The old saying is "If you're lookin, you ain't cookin". I never did like the idea of pinching the probe wires between the lid and middle section or going through the door some how.

I put my Guru therm in basically the same spot as JimT. Drilled a hole just large enough for the shaft and the rubber/silicone cork snugs it up from inside. No Unibit needed. It's been on there for about 5 years now (lots of cooking in that time) and is still accurate to within 3 degrees.

The Guru eyelets will replace a grate holder bolt, so there is no drilling. The flaring tool comes with the set so you dont need any other tools. I only used one eyelet, since I can easily slip two remote probe wires thru the same hole, one at a time, and measure smoker temp and internal meat separately. I saved my second eyelet and flare tool for my eventual 2nd WSM. Think the total cost was less than 15 bucks with shipping.

Thanks, everyone. It looks like I'll use a thermometer down the exhaust this weekend. But...then I believe I'm going to put one just under the grate and add the eyelet (replace the bracket bolt) for future probe purchase. Really looking forward to cooking on this.

Back