Baby Back Question

Friction33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to fire up the smoker tomorrow and This will be my first attempt at BB Ribs. I am going to be cooking 3 racks and run the temp at around 225. Question is do I treat these like I do regular style ribs. I was thinking rather than doing the 3-2-1 method maybe coding a 2-1-1 .
Suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated

Sounds like a plan to me. Baby backs cook differently from St. Louis style spare ribs. After 2 hours, check for donenes with the bend test, and adjust your times from there. Some will take a little longer, some will be nearly done after 2 hours. But 2 hrs at 225 will probably require more time. I cook mine at 275 or there about, and after 2 hours, I can pretty much judge how much more time is required. They are done when they bend freely without breaking apart and the meat is tender when probing between the ribs with a tooth pick. Good luck, and what time is dinner going to be ready?:becky:

Blessings,
Omar

Your plan will work, except, you will probably need to add a little at the end, if you run exactly at 225°F. Still, better to come out of foil a little under-cooked. I might even go 1.5-1-until done

This is like opening a can of worms. :grin: I'm a baby back man myself. I don't believe in the set "time scale" a lot of people have for ribs or anything else bbq. When you get a little pull back from the bones and the color you want go ahead and wrap them. About an hour after that you can unwrap them. By the way I cook at 250 just giving my .02

Oh yeah and to add. I put mine in an aluminum pan and have had better results than otherwise (fyi I do cook on a Kingsford POS) Here's the pron

20131024_153707_zps087bb90f.jpg

Thanks for the advise guys. Maybe I will bump the temp up to 250 and adjust the times to how they are cooking.
I will post before ... During....and after pics. Wish me luck

Smoker is at 250 and ribs are on. Going to be a good day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 22
Back