Bradley Smoker Help

styxbb

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I heated my Bradley smoker up to 225 degrees this afternoon and then put my biggest batch of ribs in it to date (6 slabs of baby backs(17 lbs) The temperature dropped down to 110 degrees. Now, 2.5 hours later, the temp. is only at 160. Gonna have to punt on this one. I know it's not cooking, but I hope it's taking the smoke. What would you do? Throw it on the grill? How long? Any tips gladly accepted.

Thanks

Move to the oven... They already got smoke. I'd wrap in foil and set oven to 275. Throw some apple juice in the foil and butter maybe brown sugar if u like?

Try unplugging everything on the Bradley.... I had that issue once but it was snowing outside? I covered with a Mexican blanket and didn't open the door and was able to maintain cooking temps.

Putting a large quantity of cold or cool meat in the Bradley will drop your temp. I combated this by putting in heated fire bricks on unused shelves and beside the water dish. You can also add hot water in the pan rather than cold or warm water. Also know that the themometer on the Bradley itself can be wildly inaccurate so have a interior thermometer may be better. Give it time and the interior temp will rise. I myself gave up on the Bradley for everything but jerky, salmon and veggies as I did not like the low levels of smoke it put to everything else. If you wanna eat sooner than later I would toss them on the grill or even the oven to get em' close then the grill to finish. If they are nowhere near being done I would go with the oven first as your grill might be too high in temps.

I took one shelf out and by the time I got back out to get the next set the temp. already rose 20 degrees. I think I just overloaded it. I always have a difficult time keeping temps. high enough in this smoker. I've thought about throwing in a few charcoal briquettes in to boost the temps but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the quick help. They did look pretty good at the start.

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 85
I took one shelf out and by the time I got back out to get the next set the temp. already rose 20 degrees. I think I just overloaded it. I always have a difficult time keeping temps. high enough in this smoker. I've thought about throwing in a few charcoal briquettes in to boost the temps but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the quick help. They did look pretty good at the start.

Sounds like you figured it out.

Also keep ample room for airflow and heat to go around every shelf of meat.

go to the Bradley forum and look up the second heating element mod.

I have been through everything on my Bradley. The second element does the trick.

But I dont use it much anymore since buying my offset

Back