Brisket & Ribs practice

Q*bert

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
>I'm doing my first real comp next month and decided that this was the weekend to try some things out. We're a two man team. (www.facebook.com/astropigs) My buddy is in charge of pork & chicken, and I'm in charge of ribs & brisket. I've got a grand total of one UDS for for my cook & I know there's going to be some overlap between when the brisket comes off & when the ribs go on.
> I got the brisket on at 6am on the top rack, fat cap up, over a dry aluminum foil pan used as a diffuser. Ribs were going on at 1:30 & by @12 the brisket point was starting to probe tender. At 1:30 the flat was just starting to probe 'kinda' tender but I needed the space for the ribs. So I transferred the brisket to a foil pan, with about a cup of au jus & injection mix, fat side down, because now it was going on the lower rack. This way there's room for the ribs on the upper rack & the foiled brisket will act as a diffuser.
> When I pulled off the ribs for foiling I probed the brisket & it was good to go, so it went into a dry cooler surrounded by towels. A bit later I removed the point & made up the burnt ends. The ribs finished right on time for my 'turn in' at 6:30, then the brisket came out & got served up to an appreciative crowd.

Attachments

• IMG_5182.jpg
    IMG_5182.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5184.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 231
Great looking grub. Did you inject? Rub? Was this a low and slow, hot and fast? Inquiring minds want to know!

That smoke ring was awesome!

Great looking grub. Did you inject? Rub? Was this a low and slow, hot and fast? Inquiring minds want to know!

That smoke ring was awesome!

For the brisket I used an injection of beef stock, worchestershire, soy, & accent. Rub was just kosher salt & pepper. Did everything at 275.
At that temp ribs were 2-2-1ish

Those brisket slices look awesome. Make sure to be careful of your knife work when slicing, the ribs look like they had some tearing when you cut, that could cost you a few points on appearance.

Those brisket slices look awesome. Make sure to be careful of your knife work when slicing, the ribs look like they had some tearing when you cut, that could cost you a few points on appearance.

Thanks. Yeah, on the ribs I think it was a combination of saucing too early post foil & a bit of a bark developed, & a knife that I should have sharpened better.:doh:

Back