• Best Pulled pork to date! **pr0n heavy

Thanks again everyone.

Looks great. I pan but put the meat on a small rack to keep it from sitting in the fat.

The point of using the pan IS for the meat to sit in its own drippings. Yes you might sacrifice some bark but the fact that the meat is in the juices gets the spices & seasoning flavor way deeper and end up with very moist flavorful meat all the way to the bone! For those hardcore "barkers" maybe this isn't the way to go, but for me... it's been my go to method since I did this and I've gotten RAAVE reviews! I think it's at least worth a try. If it isn't better than the way you are doing them now, no harm done. :thumb:

Cheers.

Phrasty, so you aren't tenting/foiling then, the pan remains open-air? Panning is an alternative to completely foiling it sounds like to me.

Phrasty, so you aren't tenting/foiling then, the pan remains open-air? Panning is an alternative to completely foiling it sounds like to me.

No I don't foil at all. It's left open the entire cook. Just rotated and flipped.

Cheers

foil pan the only way to go, I usually cover after 4 hr of smoke.

I'm willing to give this a try. Cooked my last brisket in an open pan and it came out great. Hadn't thought about trying it with a butt. I like a lot of bark, but am willing to experiment.

Back