turbinado sugar

prodano

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My local grocery store decided to only carry my turbinado sugar in small packets, so I am looking for other options as I make a lot of rubs in high quantities. There is another sugar in the store that looks like turbinado sugar, but doesn't say it anywhere on the package. Has anybody tried C&H Pure Cane Washed Raw Sugar before? Is it actually turbinado sugar, or would it be a good substitute? Thanks!

Yes. That's the sugar I used to get, but they stopped carrying it in the big box, and now only have it in "25 packets" per box.

oh, i gotcha. That stinks. well, you could do a test batch with the other stuff and see if it performs as well.

Talk to the manager about them not carrying it in the box, maybe it will show them that it deserves a small spot on their shelves still.

Down here in the south, grocery stores take customers words of advice to heart. ALmost everytime I have asked about something, they tell me they will look into it, and sure enough, i can find it next time i am looking for it there.

Turbinado and raw sugar are similar in their molasses content. That's what distinguishes them from white or brown sugar. Raw sugar is what is delivered to the refiners to produce white sugar. Chemically, turbinado, demerara, and raw sugar are close enough to interchange, the big difference is the grain size and the rest is marketing.

Do you have a Winco store around town. They have the Raw Sugar in the bulk bins so you can purchase as much or as little as you please. As stated above, the raw is close enough to Turbinado and will work just fine in your rubs.

I recently switched from Sugar In The Raw to Florida Crystals Natural Cane Sugar (http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=4838) A touch cheaper than SIR & a finer crystal for rubs.

Good deal. I usually run my home made rubs through a coffee grinder i have. I havent seen Florida Crystals Natural Cane Sugar in the store. I will look for it next time.

I looked, and there isn't one anywhere near you in IA, but I get Sugar in the Raw in 6-lb bags at Costco. One of those will last a while at the rate I go through it.

"C&H Pure Cane Washed Raw Sugar" is what I use all the time for Raw/Turbinado sugar.

Oh good this is great news. I haven't tried anything but sugar in the raw, so you can imagine my apprehension! I think I will go ahead and try the raw sugar in my new rub. I do wish I could get the 6lb bags of sugar in the raw though. For this batch I need 10 lbs of turbinado/raw sugar so that size in bulk would be great. Thanks a lot for helping me out!

Oh good this is great news. I haven't tried anything but sugar in the raw, so you can imagine my apprehension! I think I will go ahead and try the raw sugar in my new rub. I do wish I could get the 6lb bags of sugar in the raw though. For this batch I need 10 lbs of turbinado/raw sugar so that size in bulk would be great. Thanks a lot for helping me out!
That's a hell of a lot of packets!

Super Walmart normally has it if you've got one of those where you live

Can Zulka pure cane sugar be substituted for turbinado? The kind I bought is white.

Does Turbinado sugar taste different in a rub than just 90% white sugar and 10% brown sugar (or some ratio like that)?

Back