I need help picking out a new smoker

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I have my 36 Lang and LOVE IT, but it's too big for cooking for just me and the wife.

I'm looking for something smaller, to add to the collection, that wouldn't take long to fire up and would hold it's temp, and would be able to do a butt or a rack of ribs or two.

I'm not looking for anything overly fancy (basically, I'm saying nothing too expensive).

So what do I need to look at?

Not looking for a stick burner for this one.

I've thought about a UDS ...

Pellet grills fire up quick and hold temps real well:

Yoder YS480 Pellet grill - Doesn't really pass the not expensive test though...
Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone - Best value in a pellet grill if you have a dealer around you.

Pit Barrell Cooker or Acorn both priced under $300 . I love my Acorn for its versatility. I cooked a brisket on it last week and I grilled hot dogs on it last night. I also love the ease of smoking on the PBC. It is a cooking machine. Other options would be the Weber Smoky Mountain or a UDS. I have all 4 and my WSM never gets used anymore and the UDS very little. Nothing wrong with any of them I just find myself gravitating toward the PBC and the Acorn when I want to cook something.. Good luck

WSM/UDS/Akron. I love my Akorn. Some days we don't get along as well as we could but we still like cooking together (Reverse Seared burgers with hickory smoke was the last thing I cooked). Cooking for 2 on the akron is awesome. Cooling for 5+ is a challange.

So I have my 36 Lang and LOVE IT, but it's too big for cooking for just me and the wife.

I'm looking for something smaller, to add to the collection, that wouldn't take long to fire up and would hold it's temp, and would be able to do a butt or a rack of ribs or two.

I'm not looking for anything overly fancy (basically, I'm saying nothing too expensive).

So what do I need to look at?

Are you looking to sell the lang 36? I am in Bluffton/Hilton Head SC. If so let me know

I can get plenty of food on my Akorn for seven or eight people easy. Four pork shoulders, 4 racks of St. Louis ribs, 3 eye rounds, 10 burgers and dogs, 2 five pound brisket flats, 25 chicken thighs, and I can pop out a pizza every five minutes.

Oh, that isn't all at once.

A lot of this depends on your budget. I highly recommend the UDS or WSM route but if you're looking to spend a few more bucks a pellet cooker or BGE would be a nice addition.

Are you looking to sell the lang 36? I am in Bluffton/Hilton Head SC. If so let me know

Nice try, but no :becky:

I like to do cooks and have house parties for friends and family to come over, so the Lang will not be going away. I'm just trying to find something quicker for smoked pork chops or chicken breast and things like that. I can't justify getting the Lang up to temp for an hour, cook for an hour, and then waste the coal/wood that then has to burn out.

If just for you and the wife, why not build a mini WSM??

Or, go for the 18 1/2 OR the 22! WSM's are like a Ron Popeil machine.

I think i'm between a Pit Barrell Cooker or a WSM.

The Akorns are fine and dandy, I just don't want ceramic. I know they're amazing cookers ... just not my taste.

I've put it up to the wifey, but believe the WSM will win out. She can either have a steel drum in the backyard or a black bullet.

WSM or UDS. I doubt that you will find a stick burner smaller than the Lang 36.
This also what I would say.

Congrats on the WSM, you'll love it I'm sure. I like using my UDS for cooks like you mentioned.

Back