Safe metals?

B

bbqjunky

Hi all. So I am building a drum bbq'r and need to know what metals are safe to have inside the barrel specifically for the grates and also for an internal seam mainly for sealing but because it is inside the barrel I need to make sure it is safe :biggrin1:

Thanks for any info. Will share pics when done.

Steel - Good
Iron - Good
Aluminum - Try another metal if you can :loco:
Lead - BAD
Zinc (Galvanized metal or pure) - BAD

Basically, if the metal in question would pose a hazard in vapor form to humans, it shouldn't go into the barrel.

Last edited:
Steel - Good
Iron - Good
Aluminum - Try another metal if you can :loco:
Lead - BAD
Zinc (Galvanized metal or pure) - BAD

Basically, if the metal in question would pose a hazard in vapor form to humans, it shouldn't go into the barrel.

So I have a large square of spare galvanized sheet metal that I had planned to use on the *outside of the barrel around the lid seems to help seal it. Would this be OK because it is outside or still to risky?

Also side question, is there a calculation that defines barrel size to air intake size to get best air amount for barrel. Something like:

Barrel size X Barrel Air volume / Air Intake size = Heat ranges? :crazy:

So I have a large square of spare galvanized sheet metal that I had planned to use on the *outside of the barrel around the lid seems to help seal it. Would this be OK because it is outside or still to risky?

It depends on how hot that piece will get. The way you are describing it seems to pose little risk.

You *could* burn the zinc plating off using a huge fire, but the metal would now be susceptible to rust.

It depends on how hot that piece will get. The way you are describing it seems to pose little risk.

How do you plan to attach the galvanized piece? I presume that you plan to weld it. Welding galvanized metal is a no-no.

How do you plan to attach the galvanized piece? I presume that you plan to weld it. Welding galvanized metal is a no-no.

I had planed to add some kind of sealer (jb-weld?) under the strip and then rivet it in place. Also add a strip of something inside the barrel (hence the original questions of safe material) to help seal it. I only want smoke coming out the exhaust on top.

Are you saying that if I burn the galv in a fire I can use it inside the smoker? Granted it would have to be a hot burning sob, but if rust is the only factor I could shoot some bbq grill paint on it afterward and it would be safe right?

I had planed to add some kind of sealer (jb-weld?) under the strip and then rivet it in place. Also add a strip of something inside the barrel (hence the original questions of safe material) to help seal it. I only want smoke coming out the exhaust on top.

Are you saying that if I burn the galv in a fire I can use it inside the smoker? Granted it would have to be a hot burning sob, but if rust is the only factor I could shoot some bbq grill paint on it afterward and it would be safe right?

Well the "problem" with galvanized that is if it gets hot, you don't want to be breathing or eating that zinc-y crap that'll come off. Which is why welding galv isn't recommended for n00bs. It can be done and is done everyday, but you have to be careful.

I think the advice of "burning" your galv was kinda a joke. I suppose it could be done, but methinks a piece of normal steel would be a better idea

First off, are you building a horizontal barrel pit or a UDS??

Second, just skip the hassle and safety issues and just front the money for Steel. For the grates, unless you have extra diamond grate steel laying around, your best bet could be to search around on Amazon for grates that will fit your needs. If you are building a UDS a simple kettle grate will work great.

It is a UD bbq'r although not really ugly if you ask me :biggrin1:

Money is a big factor but safety is more :) As for grates I have a few leads on some steel grates. Since there is no real calculation I will just add a few intakes along the bottom side that way I can increase and decrease the heat as needed. I will just discard the idea of using the sheet metal and go with some thin steel strips and weld them on. Thanks for the tips guys and gals :clap2:

Back