Seasoning UDS on Exterior vs. Painting

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
.. has anyone done this? If so, how's it holding up?

I'm thinking flax seed oil.. it sets really hard--not sticky and soft like vegetable oil--and is glossy. I bet it holds up to some moisture.

Last edited:
I use oil on the outside of my side burner but painted my UDS. I oil the side burner about once a month and has looked good for 4 years now.

My lid is seasoned with linseed oil and the drum is painted. It'll look better painted and be less maintenance than rubbing it down occasionally with oil plus it will just look better.

My lid is seasoned with linseed oil and the drum is painted. It'll look better painted and be less maintenance than rubbing it down occasionally with oil plus it will just look better.

I've gotten my cast iron frying pans a very consistent glossy hard black with linseed/flaxseed (same thing) oil. If I can do the same thing with the drum, I think it would look really nice! :) Linseed oil/ flaxseed oil is what is used in varnishes I believe :)

Maybe oil it if you store it in a garage but if outside I'd definitely paint it.

I have a similar question (a mini-hijack actually). I just bought a new drum(unlined) with back exterior paint. Should I just install the hardware, season the inside, and start smoking? Or do I need to repaint the outside with hi-temp paint?

I have a similar question (a mini-hijack actually). I just bought a new drum(unlined) with back exterior paint. Should I just install the hardware, season the inside, and start smoking? Or do I need to repaint the outside with hi-temp paint?

That will save you time and the rust inhibitor on the inside can be washed or scrubbed off initially before seasoning.
The stock drum paint can take the heat too. Also, easy to touch up spots with spray paint, if needed.

Just wash inside out good and build it n season it.

Well I use my drum as a high temp grill as well so it gets pretty hot. I just had the lid over the burnt out drum running it at around 550F internal temp and the lid paint started burning off. So I'm glad I burned it out.

Back