RV or Porch Trailer?

we competed for a few years in pop up tents. Carried everything in the bed of my truck and my dad's SUV, carried drums on lugage racks. Upgraded to a very simple, low budget, porch trailer with electric, and AC. We've built it out from there. Still don't have water, but it's nice to have cabinets. How much easier is it? There is no way in Hell i'd go back to cooking under a tent unless it was some kind of special event.

I started out using a canopy. It worked fine but it was a lot of work. I was usually by myself and I got home feeling like a truck had hit me. I don't mind working hard but when I was burning all of my vacation days to do comps I wanted to at least relax a little bit :)!

This seems like the ideal situation. Best of both worlds. Saw some pics of the trailer on your facebook. Would you mind posting a pic or 2 of the bathroom area? Also, who built your trailer?

Sure thing. Here you go. Hard to get the whole thing in there, but it’s the width of the trailer and 32” deep, with a shelf in the nose.

We got the trailer through southern q trailers but it’s a Freedom brand trailer.

5cba7010e5fa633aca2ca7bee6e10a82.jpg
9722a8d6e6758c4c0d4e39558c398500.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like more than enough space. I’ve talked to Scott, definitely where I’d go to get one built. Thanks for the pics!

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
I've got a porch trsiler being built by Red Fern Dynsmics. Going to have full size bunk beds in the front with TV for sleeping and the kids, full bathroom with shower and on demand hot water and then a kitchen prep area with an 8 ft enclosed porch. We are going from a toyhauler, which was great as well just a little longer to pack up and load and unload the Deep South.

I cook out of a 30' toy hauler RV. Smoker is mounted inside. I pull in, unhook, level and I'm ready to roll. Tear down is lightning fast. It takes me the longest to clean up my mess after turn-in's. I'm usually hooked up (if possible), showered, and ready for awards between 2:30-3pm.

RV, toy hauler, dedicated trailer can make all the difference in the world. Set up and tear down are so much easier. With a trailer or RV everything can stay packed, weather permitting.

One slight negative, can be the steps to get in and out...as you age;) Turning 53 last week, in the cool, damp, weather my knees had about all they wanted of climbing in and out of the RV on Saturday.

That was offset by being packed up, having the slides pulled in, and ready to hook the pit up in less than 45 minutes, and not having to walking through the rain to find a functioning toilet/porta-pot.

My favorite set-up is the truck camper/porch trailer combo (smaller foot print) if you have a diesel truck. I live on a narrow block and refuse to store anything, so I cannot get a porch trailer because I can't make the turn backing into my yard.

I do have the truck camper, and an enclosed trailer and it takes me a couple of hours to clean-up as I am solo most comps.

My favorite set-up is the truck camper/porch trailer combo (smaller foot print) if you have a diesel truck. I live on a narrow block and refuse to store anything, so I cannot get a porch trailer because I can't make the turn backing into my yard.

I do have the truck camper, and an enclosed trailer and it takes me a couple of hours to clean-up as I am solo most comps.

We are building a very similar setup. Bought a small light truck camper this year that has a bed, shower, bathroom, Hotwater and AC / Heat. Next year we are adding a porch trailer to haul behind us with a prep kitchen and smoker. Trying to keep our overall length under 40 feet since that is the space most of the comps around here have. The goal is not to have to unhook, just pull in, plug in electrical and water and be ready to go.

West coast you see a lot of toy haulers, you have the comfort of personal space, AC and facilities plus you can easily haul your pit(s) Also great for traveling. Other version is using an enclosed trailer your size choice which you could set up for the wife. Not as comfy as a toy hauler but lots cheaper.
Truck and trailer you can drive for supplies, RV makes a quick run to the store almost impossible.

I have a porch trailer, 8' porch, 12' box, 3' V nose. It's set up for vending too. Works very well. Getting ready to sell it because I'm going in a different direction with smokers is I need to get one that works with the smoker better.

Back