BBQ Brethren "TV Dinner" Throwdown!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"TV Dinner!"[/size]
‪ZZ Top - TV Dinners (Music Video)‬‏ - YouTube
ZZ Top baby! Click the pic and see if you can spot deguerre!

...as chosen by High Q, the winner of the St. Loo-ee Style Throwdown!

Here is High Q's vision for this Throwdown...
High Q said:
I'm thinking (bear with me)....TV dinner.

You have to cook an entree and two sides. Dessert is optional. Bonus points for serving in a segmented cafeteria tray. I would use Bluetang's picture from the Legs throwdown as the 'example'.

Don't commit me yet. What do you think (honestly)

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/15 through Sunday 7/24.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 7/24.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 7/25 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Saturday 7/30. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Fajita Throwdown until Sunday night 7/17 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Independence Day Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Yep, that's him, first shows up around the 35 second mark!

(Funny aside, back in my college days in my first apartment, I had no tv so I bought the Swanson dinners and called them FM Radio Dinners.)

This should make for an interesting throwdown.

Ah haw haw haw haw...
ZZdeguerre.jpg

You know...I remember a marked difference between the older oven baked TV dinners in the foil trays with the foil covering and the stuff made to be microwave safe. I think they went out of favor specifically due to the microwave. Since smokers are better than ovens, it has me thinking.

I hope I can find a low salt TV dinner.

Hmmmmm...don't remember making that video...guess the 80s were pretty good to me too.

I don't remember that song, either, and me an Billy is close, doncha know...

CD

(pr0n of me bein' bad... nationwide in a fifty-five last week) :cool:

Attachments

• 55ChevyGlenn2.jpg
    55ChevyGlenn2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 190
I wonder what smoked Salsbury Steak would taste like? :rolleyes:

Some mashed potatoes and corn on the side, and some baked apples for dessert.

I did like my Swanson's as a kid. It was better than my mom's cooking. :shocked:

CD

I wonder what smoked Salsbury Steak would taste like? :rolleyes:

Some mashed potatoes and corn on the side, and some baked apples for dessert.

I did like my Swanson's as a kid. It was better than my mom's cooking. :shocked:

CD
Is it wrong that Salisbury Steak was the first thing that entered my mind as well?:shock:

The second thing was meatloaf!:doh:

Since TV dinners are now made in microwaves, can I use an Optigrill for this throwdown? It's sort of like a hybrid, ... I think.
Maybe you should fire up some wood chips or charcoal with the Optigrill and then go from there...

Is it wrong that Salisbury Steak was the first thing that entered my mind as well?:shock:

The second thing was meatloaf!:doh:

Not wrong at all. It shows that great minds think alike. :crazy:

I thought of meatloaf, too, but I just did that. Besides, Salsbury Steak was the Swanson's dinner I ate most as a kid.

I'm not actually doing the Salsbury steak, so you can, if you want. :heh:

I have my menu planed, and I have divided food trays, too. :cool:

Now, I just need some time to cook. I'm busy, busy, busy all of the sudden. Busy means money, so I am also happy, happy, happy. :-D

CD

I am going to present mine in one of those new fangled TV trays. The ones where they actually look like a plate, so that the average Mr. + Mrs. sub-standard American microwave cook feels like they are not actually serving their family something that came out of a box. Nope.. no divided trays for me.. that is so last century. :laugh:

Back