• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cambro or similar

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those of you who use a Cambro or similar food pan carrier for comps, what size do you use? A make and model would be nice.

Ron, I use these two.

Carlisle CONQ-0300 Food Transport

Cambro CAMQ-3030 Food Transport (300MPC 4 PAN CA)

Cambro is better. Carlisle can leaky:roll:

Thanks... The Cambro 300MPC looks a little small in pictures. Would it hold a couple of butts in a pan, a couple of briskets in a pan and a pan of ice?

Ron, I have had the best value using Carlisle 203000 from eqippers.com. Now priced near $167.00 plus s&h. Have used two in the last 75 contests, no leaks, problems at all. Holds five full pans each. ups bent a handle on initial delivery,had replacement from factory less than 24 hours later! Handles are plastic,Cambro used to be metal, I think that has changed. Great product, good luck, Steve.

For raw meat.

Ron, I have had the best value using Carlisle 203000 from eqippers.com. Now priced near $167.00 plus s&h. Have used two in the last 75 contests, no leaks, problems at all. Holds five full pans each. ups bent a handle on initial delivery,had replacement from factory less than 24 hours later! Handles are plastic,Cambro used to be metal, I think that has changed. Great product, good luck, Steve.

Thanks, Steve. Does the Carlisle have a steam valve like the Cambro?

No valve that I am aware of. Also forgot to say all of my uses have been hot.Steve.

Ron the carlisles are said to be "self venting" no valve needed.... I have a SiLite 300 and a Carlisle. I like them both. No issues leaking in either.

We use a Carlisle as well -- cold for prepped meats, hot for holding the next day. Makes life SO much easier.

That;s what i want to do with it as well. Are you using this one...

203000h.jpg

That's the one that ssbbqguy mentioned.

That's it!

Yeah, I know the Cambro seals better and has its fancy valve etc.... but the Carlisle has been working just fine for us. And we use it during packing to haul foil pans/half pans, cutting boards, plastic wrap roll, foil roll, knife case...

One word of advice about Cambros:

If you put hot wrapped butts or briskets in them and close them up they will continue to cook for a while. Ours are so well insulated the meat temp only drops a couple degrees and hour so the carryover effect is substantial.

Never owned a Carlisle so I can't say, but the Cambros are nearly bulletproof. Don't depend on foil pans to handle heavy loads in them though. You need steel hotel pans or plastic containers to take all the weight hanging on the lip of the pans. It only takes one horrible baked bean incident to ruin your whole day!

That;s what i want to do with it as well. Are you using this one...

203000h.jpg

That's the one that ssbbqguy mentioned.
thats the one I have Ron..I cooked up 3 15 pound packers and two 8 pound butts this past fri/sat and kept all the cooked meat warm in this for a good 5-8 hrs ..

This is what we have too, Ron.
Both Chris and I bought ours from equippers.com and I think they work great. They came highly recomended by many others. Chris also bought the cooling tray that will keep the interior of the box at 41 or under for 8+ hours, which could be helpful for you when using it to hold prepped (uncooked) meats.

Also, I agree that you should get at least two or three hotel pans. I only use foil pans if the pan will be sitting on the bottom of the box (with no load on the edges) or if we have something light in the pan. Otherwise, we use the steel pans. They are great and you can prep and hold meat in them. Go ahead and get them from equippers as well...they are cheaper. Sams has two-packs of them, but they are a few bucks more.

http://www.equippers.com/shop/product-detail.aspx?ret=1&pcid=60&scid=6040&pid=10338

I have two of the UPCS400's (http://cool.cambro.com/product_line.aspx?rrn=1&plrn=22) and wouldn't give them up for anything! They are the greatest thing since sliced brisket!

One word of advice about Cambros:

If you put hot wrapped butts or briskets in them and close them up they will continue to cook for a while. Ours are so well insulated the meat temp only drops a couple degrees and hour so the carryover effect is substantial.
Very true. I loaded one of mine up for a catering gig around 11:00 am, removed 80% of the food to serve (finally) around 5:00 pm. Checked the last tray after 11:30 pm (a total of 12 1/2 hours) and she was still holding at 150*!

Never owned a Carlisle so I can't say, but the Cambros are nearly bulletproof. Don't depend on foil pans to handle heavy loads in them though. You need steel hotel pans or plastic containers to take all the weight hanging on the lip of the pans. It only takes one horrible baked bean incident to ruin your whole day!

Also, I agree that you should get at least two or three hotel pans. I only use foil pans if the pan will be sitting on the bottom of the box (with no load on the edges) or if we have something light in the pan. Otherwise, we use the steel pans. They are great and you can prep and hold meat in them.
I put half sheet pans under my disposable just to be on the safe side.

Chris also bought the cooling tray that will keep the interior of the box at 41 or under for 8+ hours, which could be helpful for you when using it to hold prepped (uncooked) meats.
I've been using a full pan of ice on the top rack and it works fine. I'll have to look into the cooling tray!

Back