Hot water at comps?

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So what are some ways to get hot water for cleaning? Right now we fill up a large pot and put it over our propane burner. Works, but wondering what other ways people are doing it. Question directed towards those without RVs and the like.

So what are some ways to get hot water for cleaning? Right now we fill up a large pot and put it over our propane burner. Works, but wondering what other ways people are doing it. Question directed towards those without RVs and the like.
thats the best and quickest way i know of

Coleman Hot Water Heater is good. Zodie makes one too but not as good as the Coleman.

Trimming all my meat ahead of time, using disposable cutting boards and lining pans with foil, I now have few dirty dishes and few that need re-use so I just take my dirty ones home to wash anymore and rarely need to wash at comps.

thats the best and quickest way i know of
That's what I do as well... I would love to have a hot water heater but it's either that or another comp... I selected the comp...

Now if we win some money, that may change...:mrgreen:

Coleman Hot Water Heater is good. Zodie makes one too but not as good as the Coleman.

Trimming all my meat ahead of time, using disposable cutting boards and lining pans with foil, I now have few dirty dishes and few that need re-use so I just take my dirty ones home to wash anymore and rarely need to wash at comps.

Great advice. It cuts down on time consumed washing stuff up as well.

I think this saves us about 50-60% of our clean up (and my back!)...

Agreed - we've been trimming all of our meat ahead of time this year and it has helped a lot.

We have been using a large (cheap) 35 cup coffee pot. Only thing we need is a power outlet. It is much preferred over the 'pot on stove' method because it has a spout that will stay open for you.

Someday i will upgrade to one of those coleman on demand things.

We do like above. But also take a 5 day 5 gallon water cooler. I fill it with hot water at home right before I leave. Most comps it last both days. Some, we will boil a large pot of water and add to it once. It'll almost be too hot to handle, and is alot cheaper than a water heater.

Last edited:
We've been using the Coleman "Hot Water on Demand" for a few years now. Never had a problem. That and a bus tub and your off and running. I have one for my new team made by Oster (who makes both units). Same unit but blue instead of dark green. Search for both names for the best deal.

Keep a pan of water on the firebox too for quick clean up.

Mine stopped working after only a year, called yesterday and they are replacing the whole thing.

We are now on our 3rd in 4 years... And everytime we take it back to Coleman, they pull a brand new one off the shelf for us. I love ours, they just seem to have a few things go wrong with them from time to time...

we use the 35 cup coffee pot too... works like a charm, with only a plug needed.
$20 at Ocean State Job Lot (if you have one near you)

we also used coleman but we put it in an cooler and the water would stay hot for hours and when we were done just pull the plug and drain it was like an small sink

york

Large stock pot full of water on the firebox works for me....

Many items I take home inside the cooler I used to bring the meat out in..

When I get home...Tote the cooler into the kitchen...load the dishwasher...when clean, reload my cook box..

Ready for next contest..

Count me in on the coffee maker - 42 cups of hot water lickety split, and costs about, what? - $50 with shipping? Your only problem is keeping it from getting squashed in transit to comps.

Back