Anyone try apple cider in pork butt instead of juice?

K

Kevin Garceau

I have injected apple juice plenty of times.

I figured this time I would give some apple cider a shot since its available all over the place and I love a cup of hot apple cider in the mornings.

So on this 28 degree morning I put a brisket and butt on at 5am.....now enjoying a cup of apple cider before heading out bow hunting.

Just wondering on others experiences......probably would have made more sense to ask before I done it.:clap2:

Yep, it's a common injection - but usually I use 50/50 A.J. and A.C.Vinegar...if I inject.

Hope you're sucessful in your hunt today.

Sorry, I haven't tried cider in a butt. Actually I haven't tried AJ either. I typically eat an apple if I want to taste an apple.

For me, apples have no place near my barbecue. I know this doesn't even remotely answer your question.

Good luck with your future butts...and hope the bow hunting went well.

Typically use AJ, but that's because cider isn't available year round. If it was it would be cider all the time.

I like and would prefer cider with my meats. I dont inject but when i use the juices for other thing bbq i prefer cider.

I don't usually inject at all, but apple cider does sound good. I think apple flavor compliments pork quite well. I guess that's why AJ and ACV are so popular on the Q scene for mops, injections, etc.

Hope the hunt goes well. Yesterday was opening day here as well. I gots me the fever.....:thumb:

Sorry, I haven't tried cider in a butt. Actually I haven't tried AJ either. I typically eat an apple if I want to taste an apple.

For me, apples have no place near my barbecue. I know this doesn't even remotely answer your question.

Good luck with your future butts...and hope the bow hunting went well.

So you dont put any rubs, or other flavor profiles with any of your Q?

Hunt was uneventful. I was just sitting behind my house, all the neighbors are up cutting wood this weekend and figured this morning wouldnt see much. But I could smell the WSM going great.

Still running a little warm at grate temp even in the 25 degree weather....but not too bad. Sitting at 277 right now.

I've always used apple cider and have always enjoyed it as well... :becky:

apple cider sure does sound good. maybe ill try that next weekend. gonna make 2 butts.

..... hmmmmm.... hard apple cider???? Might be interesting...

technically and legally there is no difference between apple juice and apple cider. Traditionally cider is made from younger apples so it is more tart. Now hard cider versus juice is a whole other question.

technically and legally there is no difference between apple juice and apple cider. Traditionally cider is made from younger apples so it is more tart. Now hard cider versus juice is a whole other question.

True, also fresh cider is usually not pasteurized. This gives it that slightly fermented taste. It usually isn't filtered as fine as apple juice either. These things give it the cider taste we know. Great now I'm on my way to go get cider. Love apple cider.
I think it would be great in an injection.

I wondered really what the difference was. Im not a huge apple juice fan. Too sweet. But love cider.....had a big ol fresh cup of hot cider this morning in my bow stand. Hit the spot real well.

Brisket it small, only the flat I was given - so its coming up to temp nicely. Im not even bothering probing the butt yet as it was 7lber and figure a good 9 hours before I really even need to think about it much.

I will post pics and a full taste report of the cider butt.......now hard cider injection will be next.

I use cider in lieu of AJ most of the time. I just buy it at the grocery store, though, and honestly I don't think there's much of a difference. Maybe a little less sweet, but I mix 50/50 with ACV then add some seasonings to my injection. Works great!

I use it 2/3 apple cider vinegar and 1/3 apple juice with rub stirred into the injection. I also add some hot sauce to the mix. (My favorite is Franks Durkee Red Hot)

The flavor added is stupendous!

I don't know how this would work for an injection, but in the cold food section of the grocery store, the "Simply Apple" brand of apple juice is my favorite. I think it might be too sweet on it's own for injecting, but maybe with some AC vinegar, it would work.

BTW, in the UK, there are dozens of hard ciders that don't come here, and most pubs have hard ciders on tap that taste better than bottled ciders. IIRC, my favorite was Strongbow (???). I have seen it here, but not often.

CD

I've only injected a butt once. Didn't notice any taste difference and was going to pass on it for the future. With all the other people using cider or juice, I guess I will give it another shot.

I've tried both ways and can't tell a difference. If I do inject it's for added moisture.

Pulled the brisket at 192..... I didnt attack this cook with enough logistics.

The butt was a few lbs heaver. I should have put the butt on the top grate of the WSM it would probably brought them both off the smoker at about the same time.

Butt running a bit behind. No big deal....

I often use 1/2 cup of Apple juice mixed with 2 shots of Calvados...
for pork injection..

and since that bottle is out anyway - have a shot of Calva while its on the Q...:twisted:

Back