• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Getting in the BBQ business

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have always wanted to open a BBQ restaurant in my area. I finally got the backing and the perfect spot (I hope). I have a concession cart on the side of the road that I do Pulled pork, ribs, and hot dogs. But now it time to get a store front and go for it. I have a great group for my staff. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or do's and do nots of the business.

We are going for the cafeteria style like Jacks, down in Nashville Tennessee.
:lol::|

There is a CD you see advertised on EBay
It would be worth the small investment

I have always wanted to open a BBQ restaurant in my area. I finally got the backing and the perfect spot (I hope). I have a concession cart on the side of the road that I do Pulled pork, ribs, and hot dogs. But now it time to get a store front and go for it. I have a great group for my staff. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or do's and do nots of the business.

We are going for the cafeteria style like Jacks, down in Nashville Tennessee.
:lol::|[/quote

With regards to your roadside setup. How many did you serve in a day and how often were you there? I am torn between doing the same thing or just setting up roadside for the time being.Know many restaurant folks and the expense of mortar & bicks is daunting. I thing a get'emand get'em out may be the way to go to save on staffing expenses. Good luck and may the smoke blow your way on your venture.

LD

We are just starting with the side of the road gig also. We do not have an average since we are so new. I expect to do between 100 and 200 lunches a day, we are on a major side highway with a lot of truck traffic. We are there seven days a week from 11am-4pm. Make sure if you do not work it yourself that your employee does not help himself to partnership if you know what I mean!!! a lot of cash in this business.

Out here in Cali, I cant do roadside!!! They almost force you into a storefront... But I don't quite have the capital.. Starting my business plan for a bank loan I guess... :(

Congrats and good luck!!!!! As my boss said when I worked in BBQ joint in high school..... keep it high quality, keep it clean, keep it fair, they will come back over and over even if it is not 100% what they are looking for in flavor.

good luck with the venture mates.
hope it all works out.

maxwell

Good luck. As far as location goes, try to get a good lunch crowd and serve it up quick.

I used to live up in north Florida (Gainesville) where it is more southern "country" than where I am at now in south Florida and the one thing I really miss is good ole side of the road BBQ. I never see it down here, except when I go to the junkyard looking for car parts. There are a few mom and pop BBQ joints but they are very few, mostly chain-type places.

I don't have any advise for you but, I do wish you the best of luck with your new business venture. Maybe we will take a ride to Forked river and say hello once you get set up.

Good luck. As far as location goes, try to get a good lunch crowd and serve it up quick.

I used to live up in north Florida (Gainesville) where it is more southern "country" than where I am at now in south Florida and the one thing I really miss is good ole side of the road BBQ. I never see it down here, except when I go to the junkyard looking for car parts. There are a few mom and pop BBQ joints but they are very few, mostly chain-type places.

We don't have those types of places in Jax either. The only time I get some decent BBQ (when I'm not cooking at least :wink: ) is when I visit my in-laws in Kansas City.

1. Service. 2. Service 3. Service 4. Quality of the food. 5. Fair prices.

Get something unique, something memorable to give people something no one else serves...
Buy the book Raving Fans. Read it. Live it. You live and die by the customer.

We don't have those types of places in Jax either. The only time I get some decent BBQ (when I'm not cooking at least :wink: ) is when I visit my in-laws in Kansas City.

Try living in Seattle. I only get good BBQ when I get to the in-laws in Texas...

I do roadside and catering as a side business. In this economy there is NO WAY i'd open a store front. I won't tell all, but will tell you my meat bill last year was just short of $40,000.00. Big roadside is more profitable than a store with less risk. My pit / trailer, truck and equipment total about $80k.

Business plan Business plan, Business plan... no matter what business you're getting into. Can't stress it enough

Paul

Back