Thoughts on a Virginia winter competition

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
With winter not even here yet and my catering business has slowed and no competitions close by I am starting to get bored again. This time last year we here on the Brethren talked about winter bbq competition more so to just get a break from the cold. Maybe try out those new recipes for the coming year and such. I have thought about organizing say a January competition in the Lexington, Virginia area. A contest to be run KCBS style but not be sanctioned due to all of the fees and insurances they have to charge. I was thinking of say a lower entry fee $100 to $150 and with the exception of costs to actually put the competition on to take all money except expenses as a winner take all so that the more teams there are the more money is in the purse. Also by expenses I mean like costs of a tent rental if needed, turn in boxes, maybe trophies things of that nature. Or maybe we can get enough sponsorship that 100% of entry fee goes to the pay out. I am sure I can get all the volunteers needed to help run things so long as we all agree to fill their bellies up with good BBQ. With any luck we could find some CBJ's who would like to come out and just. Basically try to do it as close to a sanctioned contest as possible.

Anyone have any thoughts good or bad to this? Also chime in if it is something you would be interested in

Thanks

Ruben

I should add that this would be January 2012 not next month.

This idea comes up almost every year. Your single biggest issue is:
Water delivery to competitors - most sites / parks shut their systems down and winterize them during the cold months. Above ground hose trees are not an option due to freezing.

You have a real good point, that would definalty be something to consider. I will have to check on that at one of a couple locations I have in mind.

I'm interested. And would be willing to assist with last minute preparations and organization. Say...after November 2011. It could be BYOW or maybe have water delivered on a truck. Keep in mind, January in VA could be 70 degrees or o degrees. A good gamble :)

Keep in mind, January in VA could be 70 degrees or o degrees.

When we talked about that last year on here Dan the guys from up north said what ever weather Virginia had to offer in January would be a break from what the were having.

I think one way or another the water issue could be handled if everyone new it up front.

love a challenge, I ain't skeered, bring it!

Give a whole new meaning to sitting around the fire!:twisted:

Keep me posted. I always need a mental break after the holidays.

I'd rather judge than cook in that weather!!!

I'm a CBJ with KCBS, MBN, and North Carolina Pork Council, so I hope I'd be qualified to judge your endeavors!!!

Keep us posted!

Back