Chef Paul Kirk's bbq class

D

deltablues69

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to attend one of his classes being held here locally. Have any of you been? What did you think? In your opinion, is it worth the $250 fee?

Thank you for your help!

No way! That is way too much. Now if it were $50 maybe.

I took his class this past spring. A price cant really be put on hands on learning. You will get out of the class what you put into it. Ask questions, listen, and learn. I still find myself reflecting back on the class. In fact, I may take it again.

You could buy a LOT of BBQ cookbooks for that kind of money.:roll:

After reading one of his cookbooks I would happily pay the fee. Wish he'd come to New England.

You missed it. He taught a class in Elliot Me. in August, then judged at the Maine State BBQ competition. I spoke with some of the folks that took the class, and they thought it was well worth it.

I took Paul's class a few years ago...he's old school all the way baby! :p I consider his class priceless and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

He's been there done that and got all the t-shirts! :lol::lol::lol: If you can afford the $ then I'd say yes...definitely...if not...at least you can buy his book. :wink:

Thanks guys. I knew I could get some good feedback from my bro's.

It is a lot of money no doubt, but I think it could go a long ways toward shortening the learning curve that I am experiencing now.

If I decide to do it, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again everybody. You guys are amazing!!!!

I took his class a few years ago.

It may have been an off day, but he basicly sat on his ass and regurgitated chit from his book. He never even walked around to the cook sites to talk to the students individually.

At the end of the day, I thought, "is that it?"

Take a class from a guy who has won some comps this decade...

I agree with JD. Its worth it if price is no object, but that is a heavy price. We paid $100 this summer. Loved every second of the class, and took home two ribbons!

The PNWBA had Willingham for a price like that this summer. I missed out on that one, but its hard to quantify the loss, as there could be when all of it comes together for you...

You missed it. He taught a class in Elliot Me. in August, then judged at the Maine State BBQ competition. I spoke with some of the folks that took the class, and they thought it was well worth it.
Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll come back next year.:icon_sad

I took his class a few years ago.

It may have been an off day, but he basicly sat on his ass and regurgitated chit from his book. He never even walked around to the cook sites to talk to the students individually.

At the end of the day, I thought, "is that it?"

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wow.

That is a ridiculous thing to say. That is like saying why listen to Bill Walsh (RIP) Joe Montana? Why emulate Knute Rockne? Why listen to Jack Nicklaus or Arnold Palmer? Why listen to any of the past champions in any sport? If they haven't won anything "this decade", then obviously they have nothing worthwhile to say. Really? You really think that? Has Mike Mills won an award in last decade? Has Steven Raichlen ever competed? When was Willinghams last award? Yep people swarm to buy their cook books and watch their shows.
The guy won 475 awards. 475! I don't care if that was 20 years ago or 50. That is amazing in one person lifetime.

I get it you had a crappy time at his class. But to devalue the mans accomplishments because of it just isn't right.

Jeff, I hear the man has bad knees or something. I'm sure if you had asked him to come to your cooking site he would have obliged. It's like Jesse said...you get out of it what you put into it. You have to take the initiative and soak up as much knowledge as possible. I plan on taking his class next year for sure.

Hey, Sno - valid point. Why does the name Michael Jordan come to mind:rolleyes: That might have been this decade but...................

it would have sufficed to say the class sucked and no it was not worth the cost to me - seems that was the inquiry from the OP.

Back