• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
uds4_zps0cd7e679.jpg

Well you got the pic thing figured out!!!! What's the lid from ? Or did you make the cone shape

Nice use of them. I grew up in farm country in Oklahoma where those were plentiful. Can't find them here in AZ it seems. I want one for a discada.

discada

I bought my disk at the ASC store in Petersburg, Virginia. I went on their web site and they will sell them and ship them ground. $43 plus tax plus whatever it cost to ship it to AZ, cant imagine its too much, depends on how much of a hurry you're in. I also noticed there are no ASC "Agri Supply Centers" in AZ but there are a number of other farm suppliers and ag stores there, I don't know if there are any disc blade distributors but I'd give it a shot.
I guess a discada is something like a bowl shape with three or for legs welded on it?

Yeah we had a Tractor Supply store open recently in the next town over. Went to check it out but no discs. I've never actually seen a discada in person but there's a thread or two on the forum that piqued my interest in them. A google search led to some interesting ideas.

discada

Yes, I think I saw something like that on Andrew Zimmer's "strange food guy" show and It looked like a big disk on re-bar like legs sitting directly over a camp fire. The were cooking hog guts or crawdads or may be they were frying cracklings but I thought to myself "Hmm, I'm purty sure I need one of them." When I was building my uds I was thinking about using the disk lid as a cooking surface, just invert it and your off to the races, kinda like a Chinese wok. I would set it up to mount the fire basket higher and let the disk sit right on it for extra heat or lowere the basket a couple inches for milder heat. could be worked out with a little experimentation.
ASC sells a 30" disk Brazilian made of 1080 steel but its a difficult fit for a lid on a 55gal UDS but would be Ideal stand alone.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Weld up the hole in the middle of the disc and create. :) We should take this elsewhere so we don't screw the UDS thread up though.

To keep this on track...Anyone have issues with excessive creosote?? or smell after a year or so of use on your UDS?

After months of reading "build a UDS" in every stinking thread, I broke down and made one. Managed to score a free unlined drum from work, borrowed a welder and went to town. I made 3 grate positions, even though I doubt the bottom one gets used much. I already have 5 22" OTS grills, so I figure grates will swap as needed. I used 2" long SS bolts to hold grates on, but on one of the 3 I used 1" bolts, and it allows instant grill pulls w/o removing any bolts if you're careful. Also, I made my diffuser as part of the basket, because I was trying to avoid extra holes. Diffuser and handle are removable of course. She gets seasoned in the AM, turkey at 2pm.

My dad getting in on the act..

My helper, ready to get this baby smoking. He keeps asking me what's taking so long...

Thanks for lookin'

Ha ha. Already on it. Seasoned for a couple hours with crisco, then on went a bacon wrapped fatty stuffed with hashbrowns, onions, mushrooms and cheese.

So far so good. Maybe because its only 20 degrees out, but at 325 the handle is cool as a cucumber. I was/am worried about that too, but am prepared to make a different one if I gotta.

Back