• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Carnitas

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A week or so ago we had a discussion on making a carnitas cooker out of a drum and using a wok from Restraunt depot. I borrowed a propane wok for bash and we cooked some up. Still have some learning but will definately do it again. The one i borrowed was @ $140. I noticed this on sale at Bass Pro for $29.88 plus a wok from RD @ $16. Might have to check into it.
78978.jpg

Man carnitas is oneof the foods I missed out on at the Bash! Fark I can only eat so much, lol!

What exactly was wrong with them? Maybe we can help out for the next batch!:-D

Carnitas rock!
Got any left-overs you could send to a Bro in Kansas?:lol:

What exactly was wrong with them? Maybe we can help out for the next batch!:-D
First I didn't cut meat into consistent size. Since cooked at different rate we checked with thermapen. Used an orange one Grill with Bill had, should have used the Blue one. Had some that needed to cook longer. Next all agreed it needed some seasoning after frying. Not sure what i want to use. We had lemons but forgot.

Carnitas is my favorite, all time mexican food. When I try a new mexican restaurant I judge it by two dishes. One is carnitas and the other is Chili Colorado. If those are good, then chances are the rest is good. It they are bad, I don't go back.

It really does help to have them all the same size. The smaller size also makes them ready to toss on a corn tortilla after cooking. We just use some S & P and some garlic powder right after they come out. Instead of lime, use an orange and hit the meat with some fresh squeeze right after they come outta the oil. The sweet citrus seems to go better with the carnitas than the sour. Well, this only means one thing..............you need to try them again.

You can also inject or marinade the chunks before frying and that will help with flavor as well.

Carnitas is my favorite, all time mexican food. When I try a new mexican restaurant I judge it by two dishes. One is carnitas and the other is Chili Colorado. If those are good, then chances are the rest is good. It they are bad, I don't go back.

You should try Chile Colorado made with pork carnitas. Best of both worlds!:-D

My Recipe for Carnitas is a little different and a lot easier... and gets rave reviews even from the home-boys:

1 can coke
1 can carbonated orange drink
1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
5 lb or more pork shoulder roast cut in to roughly 2" cubes
pinch of whole oregano
garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
Salt

lay onions, garlic and Jalapeno in bottom of crockpot
layer pork chunks, putting in a good generous sprinkling of salt at each layer
Once crock is filled, pour coke over the whole thing and cook overnight on low, the next morning pour Orange soda in and let it go a few more hours.

take the chunks out and set them on a baking dish with a paper towel on the bottom, bake @ 225 or so for about an hour, until they get a little "crusty"

Back