earliest to buy parsley

I don't recall the earliest I've ever BOUGHT parsley, but I do remember forgetting there was some in a box and finding it three days later and thinking "if I sprayed a little water on that it would still look fresh!" I was surprised at how green it still was, even though it had dried out and was stiff as a board!

We have no problems with parsley bought on Wednesday for a comp. However, RD didn't have any curly parsley today, so I bought a case of green leaf lettuce. We'll see how that works out.

If you keep it nice and moist and in a cold environment, it can be good for a few weeks if it is fresh. Green bags can help as well, if you need to keep it over a long period.

I will but it by the case. Cut off ends and soak in cold water. I place in a 3 part bus tub like container I got at RD. Will keep for at least a month in the fridfe with damp paper towels on it

Most of the time when I purchase parsley from RD, it is in pretty good shape. The last batch I purchased, it sat in the bottom shelf of our dedicated full size frig for 3 weeks and it was still in very good condition for our last comp.

Keep it in water and cold.

wallace

At the risk of a hijack...has anyone tried cutting the tops off the stems like you would to build a box, and storing just the tops? We want to do this on Thursday night before a comp, then we would just dump the tops in the box and straighten the tops up a bit.

I found the perfect parsley on vacation and bought it for a test. Day one I cut the stem ends off and soaked it.... It lasted ALL week, so I decide to bring it home, cut the stems again and into a cooler. After a 12 hour drive all good so in a fridge. 5 days later still good. Cut the stems again and so on it lasted 3 weeks and I decided to pitch it. By all means it was good but mayby not comp good but better than I HAD to use before.

My 'Parsley Goddess' usually buys at the beginning of the week and does boxes on Thursday. Cleans and cuts the stems when she gets it home, store in water in the fridge covered with a bag, then put a wet paper towel over it once it is in the box.

My 'Parsley Goddess' usually buys at the beginning of the week and does boxes on Thursday. Cleans and cuts the stems when she gets it home, store in water in the fridge covered with a bag, then put a wet paper towel over it once it is in the box.

Once you get to the comp, how do you transfer to the official box?

The best way to revitalized older parsley is to soak in lukewarm water for about 15-20 min. and then place in the refrigerator. This is exactly what they do at the supermarkets after they get their cases in and before they place them out for sale on the produce dept. wet rack.

Once you get to the comp, how do you transfer to the official box?

We do it a bit different than Diva. If you leave longer stems on, twist them together, and fold them under you have a pretty solid bed of parsley. Just put the top of your official box over the bottom of your box, invert, close the official box, and invert again. Keep a wet paper towel in the box and store in a cooler with cold packs so that you don't need to worry about them getting water logged.

Doing them a couple of days ahead helps them take the shape of the box and hold it better. Very simple and I don't spend more than 10 min. messing with boxes on site.

I'm gonna find a botanist to work with and create a bushy parsley that grows in 9"×9" squares. Then I'm gonna sell em through Snake River Farms!!! :cool:

Switching it up?

We have no problems with parsley bought on Wednesday for a comp. However, RD didn't have any curly parsley today, so I bought a case of green leaf lettuce. We'll see how that works out.

So Ron, Your switching it up and going to green leaf? We just recently left greenleaf and went to parsley. Are you doing New Holland? If so See you there.

Chris
Zombie Barbecue.

Back