Emporia, KS

MoKanMeathead

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Heading to Emporia to the Beef Fest contest this weekend. If any of you brothers are there or live in the area stop buy for a cold one on Friday.

Gonna try something new for presentation with pork - No Garnish!! I'm going to put a bed of pulled pork in the box and top it with some sliced pork. At least that is the plan. Will post pics and let you know the appearence scores.

Best of luck, bro!
Man, if gas prices weren't so crappy I'd run up there and have a beer with ya!

Wayne,

See you there. Looks like the team count is down a bit this year. The Beef Fest is competing with Excelsior Springs, MO this year and I hear they will go over 50 teams there. I think fuel prices are keeping folks from making the short trip from KC to Emporia.

MoKanMeathead said:
Heading to Emporia to the Beef Fest contest this weekend. If any of you brothers are there or live in the area stop buy for a cold one on Friday.

Gonna try something new for presentation with pork - No Garnish!! I'm going to put a bed of pulled pork in the box and top it with some sliced pork. At least that is the plan. Will post pics and let you know the appearence scores.
No Garnish= "Living on the Edge" Mod :lol:
Let us know how it goes, for sure.

Best of luck to you and Rod.

Living vicariously through you guys this weekend :lol:

TIM

RE: Re: Emporia, KS

This should be some input to the whole no garnish argument. From what I keep reading here the garnish is not suppose to affect the scores. Don't forget the pics and the list of the scores.

BTW, have fun, and enjoy yourself.

OK, my wife sez today, "Why don't you just RIDE up there?" (love that woman)
So, since I've never attended one of dese here tings, where do people stay? I gotta feeling both Motel 6's in Emporia are already full!

Is there a link for this event anywhere? (Inquiring dogs want to know)

See you there. Looks like the team count is down a bit this year.

Rod - we'll see you there. This is our first year for this one but heard last year there were 50+ teams - how many this year?

OK, my wife sez today, "Why don't you just RIDE up there?" (love that woman)
So, since I've never attended one of dese here tings, where do people stay? I gotta feeling both Motel 6's in Emporia are already full!

Arlin - We will have a pop-up that sleeps 6 and there won't be more than 2 of us down at one time. Bring a sleeping bag and a pillow and you can stay in the camper. We will be there anytime after around noon on Friday.

Of course, Emporia is only about 250 miles away, so that's a day trip! How about meeting up with you sometime Saturday?
Wouldn't want to get in the way, and I can fetch a beer... ;)

Wayne,

Just heard from Four Men and a Pig that they are over fifty again. I had heard the numbers were down. As for visiting, most teams may have a few minutes to chat Saturday morning, but for the most part teams are very busy right up until the last turn-in, which at this contest is 2:00PM. Then we start cleaning up so that we can be done before the awards at 3:00PM. When awards are over, most teams pull out to head for home. Friday evenings are so much more relaxed. Plus, Emporia has a Blues band that starts at 8:00PM.

about meeting up with you sometime Saturday?

As Rod mentioned we will be pretty busy Saturday - you are definately welcome to come up Saturday - just won't be able to spend as much time visiting. There are 4 of us so I would be able to have a couple of cold ones with you on Saturday. No more than that since I will have to drive home that evening (No Drinking & Driving Mod for me).

With Rod, Mark (4 Men and a Pig), Salmon, PDT, etc. it sounds like some heavy hitters - should be fun.

Arlin - hope to see you there.

Have a great weekend! Everyone be safe. :D

I am going to see if I can sneak away and see you guys Friday night. I live only about an hour away.

Re: RE: Re: Emporia, KS

Bigdog said:
I am going to see if I can sneak away and see you guys Friday night. I live only about an hour away.

That would be cool but it'll take me 4 hours or so to get there, so it's Friday or nada for me. If I don't see you - best of luck!!

Re: RE: Re: Emporia, KS

Arlin_MacRae said:
Bigdog said:

That would be cool but it'll take me 4 hours or so to get there, so it's Friday or nada for me. If I don't see you - best of luck!!

Hope to see you there Arlin. I'll have my Bandera Brethren hat on. ( No, not the fox hat :roll: )

RE: Re: RE: Re: Emporia, KS

A very nice showing by Wayne and Rod!! WTG guys! You make us feel proud you are Brethren!

Emporia Beeffest, 50 teams and it rained like the dickens.

Chicken

10 Daniel's bbq
9 MoKan Meatheads
8 Twin Oak Smokin Crew
7 Pig N Out
6 Bull Dog Inn
5 QSS Smokin'
4 DP's Joke n Smoke Pit
3 Too Younkg to be Smokin'
2 Pellet Envy
1 Hurry Up and Wait

Ribs