Making a new BBQ Association

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going to attempt to start a BBQ Association. We currently have an Alaska BBQ Association, but all the members but myself are in the Fairbanks Alaska area. That is 300+ miles away and I feel it best to have our own local BBQ board etc….

So first thing I am doing is figuring out a name of this new BBQ association. Here are my top seven choices and I welcome you to vote on the name you like best. I will take the top two vote getters and then allow the member to vote on the one we will use.

Poll New BBQ Association Name

Last Frontier
Borealis
Midnight Sun
Frozen Tundra
North Star
Upper 1
Latitude 61

All ending with Barbecue Association. I have this poll on my website www.alaskabbqsupply.com if you would like to vote or you just post your thoughts here.

So what do you like and dislike about your current association? What would you change or like to see out of your association?

Last edited:
I like Upper 1, but seeing as how I am a Packers fan, I'd let Frozen Tundra slide, you guys deserve that one.

What would be the point of having 2 BBQ associations in the same state?

I tend to agree here. Want to create a club or something....go for it. But creating a second BBQ association within a state with as small a BBQ community as alaska seems a bit much.

I might have used the wrong term here. Maybe I should use organization instead of association. Tell you the truth I don’t know the difference between the two. My goal is to organize a group of people that loves BBQ. Would like to form it into a Non-profit thus I believe it needs to be more than just a club.

So how is it done in the lower 48? So does Oregon have its own club/group/organization/association or does it just fall under the PNWBA? I see the PNWBA uses organization and association, so what is the difference?

I am still asking for everyone to look at the names I have provided and cast your vote and still would like to see what you like or dislike about your club/group/organization/association?

thanks

I might have used the wrong term here. Maybe I should use organization instead of association. Tell you the truth I don’t know the difference between the two. My goal is to organize a group of people that loves BBQ. Would like to form it into a Non-profit thus I believe it needs to be more than just a club.

So how is it done in the lower 48? So does Oregon have its own club/group/organization/association or does it just fall under the PNWBA? I see the PNWBA uses organization and association, so what is the difference?

I am still asking for everyone to look at the names I have provided and cast your vote and still would like to see what you like or dislike about your club/group/organization/association?

thanks

Why not just support the group in place, but become a Board Member and have a voice in decisions?

PNWBA has BOD's in British Columbia and Saskatchewan, Washington, Oregon, Montana. But sanctions events in the Canadian Provinces, Western States and including one in Stockton, CA, if there was interest in Alaska, I'm sure PNWBA would sanction there too.

A group of E. Wash., Idaho & Montana cooks got together and formed the West Slope BBQ Assn. and are pretty active, some are members here. I think they were in the same boat you feel you're in, but we all agree there is room for all of us, KCBS, PNWBA, IBCA- we just wanna cook!

Take a look at whats happening in California with the CBBQA. The feeling I get is if you live in CA and you want to compete, you have to travel, and 300 miles is nothing for a lot of teams in that big ol state.

Why is a name the first thing?
What about incorporation paperwork? Funding? Officers?

How about starting the association and let the members choose the name? Seems "ownership" would be much improved that way.

Each of these thing are in the works. So the name isn't the first thing, it is just one of them.

Why is a name the first thing?
What about incorporation paperwork? Funding? Officers?

How about starting the association and let the members choose the name? Seems "ownership" would be much improved that way.

Have offered this to do this with out much support. Having all the current members and board members in the Fairbanks area (360+ miles away) makes it difficult to to address isssues in the anchorage area.

Why not create a branch of the same association

Why not just support the group in place, but become a Board Member and have a voice in decisions?

I do support the current group out of Fairbanks and will continue. We just need our own group. I think it will create a little BBQ rivalry between the two areas of our state. Which I believe is a good thing.

I was asked to be part of the board think it was event coordinator or something like that, but my problem is how would I doing anything for an event in Fairbanks and how can I expect the group in Fairbanks to assist on any events in the Anchorage area. Again the distance is just under 400 miles and that in it self will create issues.

I see nothing wrong with starting another BBQ group. This is new to my part of the state, but having 70% of the states population it should be a doable.

troy

Having your own chapter or division with its own governing group of officers but operating under the umbrella of an existing organization makes start up easier.
The framework is already there and each group can handle their own regional issues, have some good rivalry, but you don't have to create your own organization structure.
Could still speak with one voice to statewide issues.

Having two organizations can be more divisive than you intend. IMO

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Have you considered sanctioning of contests? Who would do it? Here in the northeast, the New England Barbecue Society helps to promote the hobby, support contest organizers, and give local teams an outlet for networking and discussions. What NEBS doesn't do is sanction BBQ events. Most contests in the northeast use KCBS for that, so when teams compete, they compete and get ranked on the national stage of KCBS.

It works well, but getting to that point where it worked and both KCBS and NEBS had a mutually acceptable working model was not a fast or easy process.

caveat: I am not a NEBS officer, and I don't speak for them - but if you are looking to form an organization to give you a local voice and still let you be part of the national community, it's a model to consider. (NEBS does sanction grilling events, which are sometimes standalone and sometimes done the same weekend as a KCBS event.)

Last edited:
Back