• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whole Hog

Youngin'

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been reading a whole lot of the threads and noticed som of you have pdf's and such on how to cook certain meats.

Does anyone have a "how to" on whole hog? I'm doing one for he first time in a Caja China and I want to read up on it. The ones I am finding doing a google search aren't as informative as the ones I've seen on here.

Thanks!

Being in the Northeastern corner of N.C., I've been to and involved in more "pig pickin's" than I care to admit, but I have never cooked one on my own. I'm looking forward to reading the answers you get.

Being in the Northeastern corner of N.C., I've been to and involved in more "pig pickin's" than I care to admit, but I have never cooked one on my own. I'm looking forward to reading the answers you get.

I'm with you on that one! I have a buddy who cooks whole hog at his restaurant he does 275 for about 12 hours, its eastern style bbq so he then chops it and puts crushed red pepper and salt on it with some of that delicious vinegar sauce!

The Caja China directions are right on the cooker. If you follow them, you should be good, IF you have the right size for the pig you're trying to cook. I seem to remember Clint doing one a while back, will see if I can hunt it down

Edit: - not the link I was looking for, but should be helpful - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112412&highlight=smokeindaeye

After looking at the thread I can see I might have to cut the head off also. I'm thinking it's not going to fit entirely inside the box.

I purchasing a Maverick E-732 for this cook out so I can cook all the other dishes. Yuca, maduros, rice & black beans and so on. It should be a long day but I'm up for the task. :thumb:

After looking at the thread I can see I might have to cut the head off also. I'm thinking it's not going to fit entirely inside the box.

I purchasing a Maverick E-732 for this cook out so I can cook all the other dishes. Yuca, maduros, rice & black beans and so on. It should be a long day but I'm up for the task. :thumb:

Not sure how large a pig you're doing, but you might be able to remove the head, but place it in between the back legs to cook? Not pretty, but could work. You also might have to remove the feet, or just make head cheese with the head and feet! :thumb:

If you want to post your questions/concerns I will try to answer them for you. Might want to include the size of the hog you want to cook.

The Caja is supposed to have cooking instructions printed right on the outside of the box. I would follow that...but judging by the typical results I see posted on the interweb I might suggest not using quite as much charcoal as they recommend. Way too many pigs come out of those boxes with black patches of skin. I've seen a few examples of what I consider perfect brown skin...so it is possible.

Back