• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looked Good

Just BS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
But I was disappointed. After 8 hours of not being able to keep the temp up, I wrapped the shoulder in fol and tossed it in the oven. It tasted good, but (in my mind) it doesn't qualify as "REAL" BBQ.

I have read up on what I need to do, up to and including throwing my smoker in the trash and building something better ~ which is in the works.

But in the interim, here's what I am cooking on and what I made.

~A whole boneless pig shoulder (a butt and a picnic roast)
~Some chicken for a mid day lunch.
~Poppers (jalepeno's w/cream chease, wrapped in bacon)
~Pig Shots (links wrapped w/bacon stuffed w/cream chease & topped w/brown sugar)

Attachments

• getting started.jpg
    getting started.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Smoking.jpg
    Smoking.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 263
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 263
  • waiting.jpg
    waiting.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 269
  • chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 267
  • round 2 -poppers.jpg
    round 2 -poppers.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 263
  • over done.jpg
    over done.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 263
  • pig shot.jpg
    pig shot.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 262
That looks like some good food. I would consider it BBQ

are you trying to control the temp by using the stack vent ?
i would also use some drier vent to extend the inside stack down to the grate.

Looks like you overloaded the pit and restricted the flow good excuse to go bigger. Looks good to me, don't be so hard on your self.

Well I doubt I'll be the only one to say this but you are in need of a UDS.

The offset you got, or anything that looks like it, will never give you the ability to hold temps. Not without a lot of modifications and sealing and even maybe then.

Yeah its overloaded, the quality cabinets you see on here can handle that, the COS cannot.

My UDS will suffice but when I pull thee trigger on something it wont be cheap. It'll be good but quality is not cheap.

Just sayin

Looks like your exhaust is almost completely closed. That's gonna reduce the draw, and also cause stale smoke to get backed up in the pit. If that's that case, I'd try to keep it fully open, or close to it.

On the cooker it appears to be an older model with slightly thicker metal than the newer COS models. The exhaust already looks like it's pretty close to grate level too. You should be able to make some great food in that thing with a little babysitting. Isn't that what they call a Char Broil Silver? They were supposed to be pretty decent cookers.

I've finished plenty of Q off in the oven. No different than foiling it and putting it back on the smoker.

are you trying to control the temp by using the stack vent ?
i would also use some drier vent to extend the inside stack down to the grate.
I used both the intake on the off set box as well as the stack vent.

I plan on extending the stack down to the grate.

What I REALLY need to do is build a "charcoal box". As it is now, I can't put enough charcoal to get the temp high enough.

It also appears I need to put a shelf under neath the grates as well as build a "deflector shield" somehow because the temps next to the fire box are much higher then the opposite side.

Looks like you overloaded the pit and restricted the flow good excuse to go bigger. Looks good to me, don't be so hard on your self.

Thanks, over all it tasted great. I just want it to be better. The bar has been set pretty high around here. :wacko:

Well I doubt I'll be the only one to say this but you are in need of a UDS.

The offset you got, or anything that looks like it, will never give you the ability to hold temps. Not without a lot of modifications and sealing and even maybe then.

Yeah its overloaded, the quality cabinets you see on here can handle that, the COS cannot.

My UDS will suffice but when I pull thee trigger on something it wont be cheap. It'll be good but quality is not cheap.

Just sayin

I agree and just picked up a Webber 22" on CL. I got a line on a drum, but I'm gonna hvae to wait for work to slow down a bit. Having said that, this thing works great as a grill. Tri-tips seared and then moved over to be finished by indirect heat. It will stay, but I need something better...

Looks like your exhaust is almost completely closed. That's gonna reduce the draw, and also cause stale smoke to get backed up in the pit. If that's that case, I'd try to keep it fully open, or close to it.

On the cooker it appears to be an older model with slightly thicker metal than the newer COS models. The exhaust already looks like it's pretty close to grate level too. You should be able to make some great food in that thing with a little babysitting. Isn't that what they call a Char Broil Silver? They were supposed to be pretty decent cookers.

I forget what it's called. I bought it about 7 years ago and it works well. But I am ready to step it up. I had no idea how far off my temp gage was until I bought a nice digital one. Like I said, I'm gonna keep it, tweek it a little bit, build a UDS and then get something bigger & badder!

I used both the intake on the off set box as well as the stack vent. That's probably not a good idea. Stack should be wide open and use the intake as your control.

I plan on extending the stack down to the grate. That will help.

What I REALLY need to do is build a "charcoal box". As it is now, I can't put enough charcoal to get the temp high enough. A basket will definitely help. You can also start with a charcoal fire and add sticks as you need. A small hot fire is the key to a smaller offset like that. Well, that has been my experience.

It also appears I need to put a shelf under neath the grates as well as build a "deflector shield" somehow because the temps next to the fire box are much higher then the opposite side. 13" x 6" x 1/4" steel tuning plates helped my Cimmaron run much more even.

You're not the first guy to finish butts in the oven.

picture.php

Wishing I was here.

attachment.php

to try out the grub. :clap2:

I'm not exactly sure what that is, but I'll look it up. Thanks!
The Brinkman Cimmaron is a small offset like yours. I added the tuning plates under the cooking grate to help even out the temps. By using multiple pieces of steel, gaps can be left between the plates allowing you to "tune" your smoker.

I figured to get the optimal amount of "smoke flavoring" you needed to keep the smoke in the Q.... No???
No. you get the best smoke flavor when the smoke is thin and blue. That is the sign of a clean, efficiently burning fire, and you need you exhaust wide open to get it. With the exhaust choked down, the fire doesn't burn well and the smoke will be full of creosote. Your meat will have an intense, bitter smoke flavor.

OK, Wow &I Thanks!

My BBQ has been pretty good and has gotten great reviews, but I know it can be better.

I'll add some "tuning" plates and lower the exhaust. What about some type of deflector shield between the off set box and the main smoking chambe,r above the grate level to help stabilize temps? Especially once I put a charcoal box in there....

Back