What Do You "Spray" With?

LeeBo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been going through some old posts looking for techniques I have missed in the last year.

I see a lot of comments like "Spray the heck out of it." Sometimes this is advised before putting it in foil, other times before putting it in the cooler.

I've been smoking for 7 years (8 minus the last) but have never "sprayed." What are you spraying with?? Water? Apple juice? A mixture? Beer?

- LeeBo

Lee -

Basically mixtures. Ive seen all of the above plus bourbon, southern comfort, cherry juice, a little oil, Dr. Pepper, cider vinegar, among others.

I use 2 parts apple juice and 1 part peanut oil for anything pork. For poultry I just use peanut oil or olive oil. I use a standard pump sprayer for cooking that you can pick up at any decent cooking supply store.

Saiko said:
I use 2 parts apple juice and 1 part peanut oil for anything pork. For poultry I just use peanut oil or olive oil. I use a standard pump sprayer for cooking that you can pick up at any decent cooking supply store.
I usually do the same as Saiko, except with Pork, I add a little Apple Cider Vinegar.

I like to go 50/50 with Apple Juice and White Wine Worcester Sauce made by Lea and Perrin's.

I use 50-50 apple juice and beer.

I usually spray the first time at the 2-2.5 hour mark, unless I've had a huge temperature spike, then I'll spray while I've got the door open . When wrapping I used to really put a heavy spray on, but I've backed away from that some and just hit it enough to moisten.

I change up all of the time but my favorite so far has been apple juice and orange liqueur. I use Sublime because I can get it cheap at Trader Joe's. You rich folx can use Grand Marinier.

Are these sprays to add flavor or to seal flavor?

I'm a big believer in salt & pepper only. However, I like the idea of using something to prevent dryness. I'm still in search of the perfect briskett...

- LeeBo

LeeBo said:
Are these sprays to add flavor or to seal flavor?

I'm a big believer in salt & pepper only. However, I like the idea of using something to prevent dryness. I'm still in search of the perfect briskett...

- LeeBo

It (for me) is to add moistiure (or prevent dryness) as well as bark enhancement.

Once Jim Minion joined and pointed me in the direction of "sugar in the rub will help with bark formation" I both add sugar to the rub, and have sugar in the spray bottle (flat soda works good) as well as Cherry juice box with Cherry wood.

But I am an amateur,

I have gotten great bark on my brisket following some of the tips here. In the Roadmap thread at the top of this forum, I think Brisket should have at least one pointer

The most important thing about a mop is that it is wet. The second thing is that it needs flavor. Smoking over powers flavors. That is why we use strong spices for rubs, and should use strong spices in the mop. When I mop I usually use equal parts of vinegar (dill pickle juice if I have it), wine or water (apple juice would do nicely), and hot sauce (Franks is great but your favorite will do). All three are very wet and strongly spiced. To that mix you can add anything you want. If you like the crust on the outside that sugar gives you then add brown sugar or molasses (I really like molasses myself). The other things you can add are limitless. I would love to have a juicer so I could try fruit and vegetable juices to my recipes.

Yes to all the above!!

I use 50/50 Apple Juice with Southern Comfort at home.
We use 25% Southern Comfort (or less) to the AJ in competetion.

Yes- you can definetly taste it at the higher concentrations.

Just have to compliment the meat, not overpower it!

TIM

Well, I gotta admit - you guys have gotten me to re-thinkin. That is, I think I'm going to try the Dr. Pepper mop on a briskett. In fact, I've got a bottle of DP syrup that I bought at the museum in Waco. It's everything BUT the carbonated water if I remember correctly.

Regarding rubs, etc.. I tried a lot of them, on a lot of things, but always end up thinking salt & pepper only is better. I suppose there is an exception - once in a while I'll inject rosemary garlic into a pork loin which is pretty good. I'm going to try the DP mop though. Seems like I did many many moons ago but that was before all the mods. I may have associated the wrong cause with the effect. Like Pop always said, "BBQ is a very inexact science."

Believe it or not, I was big into rubs for a while then ol' Unka Pete told me, "Good meat don't need nothing but good wood, and the two oldest spices in the world. Heck, they's even black men in Dallas doin' that stuff (rubs) now. Don't make no sense at'tal."

For you rubbers out there.... I don't at all aim to convert any of you. However, next time you're cooking two pieces of the same meat, do one however you wish and one with pepper (and salt if it has a bone) and ask your guests which piece they like better without telling them wich piece is which. They may like yours bettter!

Maybe it's my family or the state of Oklahoma, but 100% of the time they vote for salt $ pepper. Heck, I'll try a mop, you try S&P. We may both learn something :wink:

With all the quotes on Q'in, I'll close with my own, "The proof is the meat. Nothing else."

- LeeBo

Most of the time I use apple juice with a touch of bourbon.. sometimes for ribs I add pickle juice.. found that the juice from gerkins(sp) is a nice touch. On chicken i find adding some franks red hot to the apple juice is good.

For ribs I pre-spray with apple cider vinegar & bourbon and then add the rub. While in the smoker I hit 'em with apple juice & bourbon - about a 50/50 mix. Everything else just gets apple juice.

The bourbon adds a really nice flavor to it. And you can always spray it right into your mouth! :twisted:

Back