Pastrami Brine Recipe wanted

Gary in Va

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I did some canadian bacon a few weeks back with great results. Now I want to do corned beef Pastrami.

I need a Corned beef brine recipe using Morton Tender-quick. How long should it remain in the brine?

thanks

[EDIT] The link in my original post goes no where. Here is the recipe that i used. This was originally posted by Big Belly. I let mine cure for three weeks.

Brine for Corned Beef

Saltpeter, or potassium nitrate is a food preservative. It will give the meat a pink coloring and reduce the chances of spoilage. If you are careful with your food handling and don't need the pink coloring you do not need to add the saltpeter.

INGREDIENTS:
4 quarts water
2 cup brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
12 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
3 tablespoons pickling spices
4 teaspoons thyme
8 bay leaves
1 teaspoon saltpeter (optional)

The beef brisket should remain in the brine stored in a cold, dark place for anywhere from seven days to three weeks. You do need to regularly check on the meat and turn it to prevent spoilage.

When I corned my first brisket, I used Morton’s Tenderquick instead of salt peter. I followed the directions on the Tenderquick package to determine the amount. Also, I thought the corned beef was a little sweet, so I would reduce the amount of brown sugar next time.

Pastrami Rub for Beef:

5 tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon white peppercorns
1 Tablespoon Juniper Berries
8 cloves garlic, minced

When grinding the rub ingredients you don’t want to pulverize it but more so want a very coarse feel—similar to cracked black pepper.

Once the Beef was cured I applied the rub liberally and smoked it till it reached an internal temp. of 165. Being fully brined there is no need to foil or get your brisket up to 190 internal. Also, there is no need to place into a cooler for residual “carry over cooking”.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10538&highlight=corned+beef

I usually start with a pre-made Corned Beef.... Soak it for a day or so, rub it down, and on the pit....

Back