Community kitchen with another caterer

bigbeef24

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

You have helped me get to this point but need some insight. I have all the license and health dept squared away and a communitykitchen lease. The owner of the building called me today with a curveball, there is another BBQ caterer that would like to use the kitchen. He has told me that it's up to me whether the other caterer gets the green light. I have reservations but wanted to get some insight from the brethren. What are your thoughts?

1. Will it reduce your costs?
2. Will you have lockable storage? Both dry and cold?
3. Do you get to meet him/them?
4. If it doesn't work, do you have right of first refusal in terms of who goes?
5. How will scheduling be determined?

It is not at all unusual for a commercial kitchen to have multiple leases for a single facility. The most common points of conflict end up being who gets to use what and when, who pays for broken equipment and the cost to work around it, who stole my ingredients (far more common than it ever should be) and who gets booted when things go south.

1. may save some
2. no locks dry or cold
3. have phone number and also played softball with him but dont know him real well
4. I should get priority because I am the one to get kitchen back running. previous caterer has been gone for 8 months and owner had his permit surrendered. I have been dealing with health dept and getting permits right.
5. This is what Im concerned about due to the timing of BBQ. We have a baker, a sandwich guy, myself and potentially another bbq caterer.

This is a tough call because Ive already mentioned that is is a place I would like to have for myself someday and was willing to increase the amount of rent i pay as the business grows.

I see no benefit to you, and as you are likely to be cooking for similar events and similar days, I see lots of potential conflict.

Partners are for dancing, forget it, just headaches to have to deal with down the road.

Hey guys thanks for the insight. I told the owner it would be best if we found another caterer that doesnt do BBQ.

Back