Best electric smoker???

G

ganso

Guys I am here to ask the bbq mass what you all would recommend and why, would be the best electric smoker. My friend is looking to buy one, I have tried to get him to buy a smoker like mine, (STUMPS) but he doesnt want to spend that kind of money. He is looking at a cook shack, I think. That is around his budget. NO BARREL either tried to have him see THAT light but just wants one to turn on and off. Thanks in advance. Pat

FEC or Cookshack all electric. Nothing closer as far as quality, service and ease of use. Steve.

Masterbuilt if money is the issue. Set it a and forget it for a couple of hundred, and then when you get into it and want a real smoker it's not bad throwing it away or donating it to your neighbor that want to get into it!

Say no to Bradley. I have one and its a hunk of garbage. I then got smart and got into real smoking. Those pucks make for a terrible white, poofy smoke flavor that does not compliment the meat at all. Id tell him to save his money, go for a real smoker. If he insists, id say a cajun injector. Ive had decent food off of a cajun injector, set it and forget it.

More expensive options than what has been suggested, but they double as a grill - Traeger or Green Mountain Grills pellet poopers.

Great thread. I have no problem, theoretically, with an electric smoker. A really good one should make some really good que.

I'm not in the market for one, at this time, but look forward to hearing which ones work well, and which ones don't.

CD

We bought my wife a CharBroil Electric Big Easy from Lowes. I was against it but she gave me that look that said "shut up and buy me the thing". So I did and I'm amazed at how well it cooks and it's ease of operation. Her learning curve is pretty good sized since she's never tried her hand at BBQ but I imagine by summer's end she'll have it down pat and suggest that I retire my smoker. Fat chance!

Turns out it was money well spent.

I have had a Bradley and gave it away and got the cookshack, been using that for 10+ years never any problems whatsoever

I got a Smokin Tex CXLD off ebay about 2 years ago and never looked back. I believe Cookshack has them on quality but after 2 years and probably a hundred cooks, I have had ONE issue with a frayed electrical connection that I fixed in about 10 minutes.

Smokeshack, no question. Great units, easy and stellar customer service. Even if you have a "real deal" smoker making fire they are a great second unit for cooking.

dont know what is the best but i know a couple people that cook on masterbuilts. Ive eaten BBQ thats been cooked on them as well and its pretty good

I really liked my sams masterbuilt smoker until the heating element quit working and the company doesn't offer replacement parts. After some research online, I've found this to be a common problem. The company position is to buy another unit. Which i did....I bought an egg.:-D
The masterbuilt awaits to be rebuilt/resurrected as something else.

If i was looking for a set and forget unit/electric unit, funds dependent, i would look at the fec.
jon

I really liked my sams masterbuilt smoker until the heating element quit working and the company doesn't offer replacement parts. After some research online, I've found this to be a common problem. The company position is to buy another unit. Which i did....I bought an egg.:-D
The masterbuilt awaits to be rebuilt/resurrected as something else.

If i was looking for a set and forget unit/electric unit, funds dependent, i would look at the fec.
jon

Pull the back off your MES smoker. Dollars to donuts the wires at the heating element have corroded. Easy to fix if this is the problem. I changed mine out for better wires and connectors while still new after reading about all the failures.

The Masterbuilt 30" electric is great for set&forget. It's pretty cool to be monitoring internal temps on the remote while watching the Masters. For the price, and considering the limitations (270 degrees max, lack of parts availability keeps being cited here, and mine's only been here a month) it's great. Your friend will want a WSM eventually, don't worry!

If he wants one that shuts off a charcoal cooker just needs the air shut off (that's off)

Electric won't do the flavor or get hot enough if the outside temp is too cold but MES are inexpensive. The only problem i've heard of is the elements going bad.

I have a brinkmann electric gourmet and it works well for what it is. Can't remember exactly, but I think it's about $70 at HD.

Back