Meat dripping on to meat question in cooker

jketron

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Folks in a vertical cooker and when your doing big meats how are you keeping the upper meat from dripping onto the lower meat?

Either in a WSM or an vertical smoker

There was a thread about this last week in this forum. Unless you put the meat in pans, it's probably not going to happen. I prefer to let pork drip on beef. When it's sliced up, you don't really notice it unless some drippings pooled on another meat.

you could put a piece of foil under your brisket, at just the size of the brisket, and center your pork butt directly, centered underneath. The brisket will drip, but to the outside of the butts and not hit them... I've tried this before.

I cook everything in shallow pans to address this also makes clean up a breeze

I'm in the minority, but I go brisket on top of butt. Everything should taste a little like beef. :-D

It's all juicy goodness to me. Unless you are worried about some sort of contamination, but at 200* + degrees, I am pretty sure it is safe.

Meats that cook quickest go on top to avoid undercooked juices onto an item that is coming off.

I avoid letting chicken drip on other meats, other than that, I let them drip on each other.
:grin:

As long as you're meat isn't dripping on my meat were cool!

I like meat dripping on other meats, in fact you can use it to your advantage. Butts under briskest, ribs under butts. Just another layer of self basting flavor!
Oh and beans under the ribs...yum

I avoid letting chicken drip on other meats, other than that, I let them drip on each other.
:grin:

I agree with this, I'm really weird about chicken. You want chicken on its own little island not getting dripped on or doing the dripping. Chicken squeezins is nasty!

Fowl on bottom, everything else over that, let the drippings mingle. If you use pans put meat on a rack in pan so smoke can get under the meat and it is not laying in its own juice or brazing it.
Dave

Back