View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #49
AKMIMNAK
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
None of the ones I mentioned are gravity fed. The 270 smoker is convection/reverse flow. Not a gravity fed smoker. They hang their hat on not needing a temp controller. Big reason I bought mine is no electronics.

1500 can go pretty far with Backwoods. The G2 Chubby is a good option. I like the Chubby 3400 at 799.00 including shipping. Check them out.

Now being that you have kids like me. I got a 2 year old and 4 year old. Consider warm up time on cabinets about an hour. 45 mins to hit temp and 15 mins to settle in and have a solid fire once temp hits. Pellet grills 10 mins. Cabinets only work when you have a day off. Pellet grills all week. Flavor is better on a cabinet imo but a pellet grill gets more cook time.

Do you have time for warm up and getting up early morning to build a fire? Not hard but time consuming. Hurry when you build a fire and it won't be stable. I plan a minimum 1 hour. Build fire, season and inject your meat. Let the smoker settle into temp. Put meat on and you might have to make adjustments for fine tuning over an hour. Once thats done it will run solid all day long.
I've never even looked into cabinet smokers before, hence my ignorance on the gravity fed thing. These are all helpful thoughts. I appreciate it. Now I have to consolidate all this new knowledge and try to make a good choice :)
Want a chance at a free Lone Star Grillz 20x42 with Offroad Package? Subscribe to my YouTube channel and share the video below everywhere you can on social media! If we hit 100K subs by June 15, 2020 I'll be giving one away right on my channel. Thanks for your help and good luck!

LSG 20x42 Giveaway Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uddf7HM5WDM
AKMIMNAK is offline   Reply With Quote