Turn in box

scubapudgy

Reaction score
I competed in Lawrence this last weekend. I thought that my boxes looked pretty good. The highest we got was an 8. I do not have any pics. Any suggestions on what a box should look like? I have seen the thread with the worst box, how about the best box?

I don't have any to post for you, but I did find some on the internet.

Do a web image search (above the web search box is an IMAGE tab) for them. I've found quite a few out there.

Like you I am still looking for those 9's on appearance, at the comps my boxes look great. When I get home and look and the pic's I say I can't believe I turned that in :shock:. Do a practice run and post your pic's.

It was suggested to take pictures of the boxes before turning them in to make adjustments before taking the walk to the judges. Saturday will be our first shot at it and plan to do it. It is amazing what the camera sees that the naked eye does not.

It was suggested to take pictures of the boxes before turning them in to make adjustments before taking the walk to the judges. Saturday will be our first shot at it and plan to do it. It is amazing what the camera sees that the naked eye does not.

Chipper, I like your thinking, thanks for the ideas.

IMHO-Appearance points are free. Without a good score there, you might as well not turn your trays in. My wife and I learned how to do the trays and it was time consuming and painful. Then we realized that you can build a putting green in about 15 minutes. We probably spent an hour tops putting our trays together at the royal last year (our first KCBS event) The bulk of our appearance scores were 9's. It helps if you buy good parsley.

Yeah, I used to hate putting boxes together but the more you do them the easier they get. I can usually knock them out in under 15 minutes - which I do at night. Then in the morning I give them a peak and maybe spend another 5 minutes on them to touch up.

I also noticed that even if the trays look perfect, you can take a picture of them and in the photo they will look aweful. Just remember that the judges will see them for a just a few seconds so perfection is not as important as nice even, green putting greens. Also make sure you use the curly parsley and remove any of the flat leaves that might be in the bunch, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I will use a thin layer of chopped leaf lettuce on the bottom, basically just a filler, then I will just start adding the parsley and filling in the holes as I go and in 15 minutes you have a perfect putting green. In reality, my wife does them way faster than I do, but in the end when I have put together one for her two, they both look great.

Thanks everyone! I think I see what I am doing wrong. I am not putting anything under the meat so the meat is not being dispalyed correctly. I will practice and send pics

We did just that at the practice comp and did very well... Just a quick shot with the cell phone shows where you are out of line... Good Luck!!!

Yeah, I used to hate putting boxes together but the more you do them the easier they get. I can usually knock them out in under 15 minutes - which I do at night. Then in the morning I give them a peak and maybe spend another 5 minutes on them to touch up.

all I have to say is good job!:icon_cool, I (and my wife, just her) spend over a hour on the boxes!.

I used to do the putting greens myself, but you know, wife does it better. thanks smokin karen (like she even looks at this,,)

I always think are boxes look good there is only so much you can do.Then you get your scores and the sevens and eights continue

I have said this before on another similar thread, and this is merely an add-on to what Smokin' Mike said earlier. I think you have to have an "eye" for the minute details when it comes to not only putting together the greens, but when you cut the meat and place it in the box as well. I can look at a box and say, "darn that looks good", but have no idea how to get it there. That is where my wife, who is an artist and very detail oriented person, comes in. I can give her examples and guidelines of how it should look, and she puts the whole thing together. I then have my buddy, also a detail oriented person, looking over her shoulder doing quality control. It worked very well for us in the past.

What I am saying is that you have to in a way, look at what your skill-set is, and determine if you are the right person to be putting together the boxes on your team, and if there is someone better--delegate. It also helps to have someone doing this that has had a full-night's sleep/isn't hungover. :wink:

Back