My First Brisket-6 Hours in!

Goldflinger

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Morning Brethren,
I am smoking my first Brisket today. Yesterday I bought a 12 pound packer from Sam's. Trimmed it up last night and seasoned with a little Worcestershire sauce and Plow Boy's Bovine Bold. I got up at 5:00am and fired up the WSM. Put the brisket om at 5:30am with the temp. Reading on the grill at 219. Temps for both grill and Brisket I.T. As follows:
Time. Grill Temp. Meat temp
6:00am. 232. 59
6:30am. 282. 88
7:30am. 277. 122
8:30am. 270. 153
9:30am. 264. 163
10:30am. 259. 167
11:30am. 255. 169

I will take some pictures and add the Pron. Monday when I get to the office. I intend to checking for tenderness around 3:30pm or so. I am hoping that when it probes "like butta" the internal temp will be in the 195-200 range. Shooting to have this ready to eat at 7:00pm. I was initially worried about how fast the meat temp. Was shooting up, but it has slowed down now. Do the above listed grill temps and Brisket temp.'s look withing the range of Normal. It's been fun and I appreciate all the advice I have garnered from the forum. Give me your comments and criticism and I'll report back later this afternoon! THANKS!

Well, not too bad for my 1st brisket. I smoked it for 10hours and 20 minutes and it probed tender at 198 degrees. I pulled it and foiled the flat. Probably left it foiled too long, as it was juicy when I cut off the point, but when it was served it was a little dry. However, all the guest's and my wife raved, so overall, I was pleased. The burnt ends were fantastic.

Looks really good, I have found that if I foil @ about 6-7 hours them let cook the additional time, the juicy ness goes up by quite a bit. I also like to wrap with plastic wrap while it stands, just wrap directly over the foil just wrap it up like its a mummy....

but, it does look delicious..

Back