"Porky", Gamey", "Disgusting" Flavor

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I had some pork at a restaurant the other day that was just really bad. It had this strong "porky" flavor. I have noticed that flavor several times in pork but this was the worst.

What causes it? Is it the pork? It is the age of the pork? Is it the cooking method? How can it be avoided?

I was going to say PORK. But I didn't want to be captious.

Captain Captious of the most captious who guided the most captious climber of The Captious Nation who sits atop Mt. Captious?:?::icon_wink

I had some pork at a restaurant the other day that was just really bad. It had this strong "porky" flavor. I have noticed that flavor several times in pork but this was the worst.

What causes it? Is it the pork? It is the age of the pork? Is it the cooking method? How can it be avoided?

I have noticed that to but whats odd is i like the pork flavor more than the smoke. i like to taste the meat. I noticed your title said gamey, now thats a flavor i am not found of. i dont mind smoked food from an electric smoker at all because then there is no risk of odd flavors from charcoal or bad wood. Back to my original statement of noticing the to porky of a flavor. Maybe age or even a salt solution caused it. i have not had pulled pork for about 7 months due to this same issue. I lost my appetite after i had some odd tasting pulled pork. i even tried to smoke some in November but just reminded me of the bad stuff and i just couldnt eat it..

Maybe you meant "ham like"? that would be from the salt in the rub staying on for more than 24 hours. just my 0.02

If you meant ham like flavor then it could have been a enhanced pork product. A lot of packers are enhancing their products with a salt solution that actually cures the meat to a point, giving the end result a ham flavor. If you are talking about a gassy rotten smell then it's time to throw it out. Many packers inject CO2 into the package before vac sealing, and it gives a gassy odor. I usually return the meat to the store when I get one like that.

Why can't they just make pork taste more like beef?

Or Chicken???

My understanding is it is caused by "older" pork, not neccessarily bad but pork that is nearing the end of it's shelf life.. My MIL did an oven roast once for Christmas that was the nastiest smelling and tasting thing you could imagine. just sayin'

Older pork\pig has a stronger flavor to it..most pigs are killed young and are more tender and milder flavor older hogs have a more strong porky flavor ....its the same with cows young cows that are veal...they have a milder flavor and are more tender, but a large cow has a more beef taste that we all know. Its all about the age of the animal.

Meat that at some point wasn't handled correctly. Still safe to eat, it no longer tastes like fresh top quality pork.

I don't know what causes it, but I can spot it. The darker pieces have a more porky flavor. If you want it more mild, go for the lighter pieces. My wife will always pick the package of chops that are darkest -- she likes this flavor.

I also notice this in the darker pieces of meat, and I believe packaging plays a part in this as suggested earlier. I have noticed that the twin-packs I get from Sams tend to cook up with more of this dark meat and more of this flavor than the butts I get at a butcher I like going to. I prefer the butts from the butcher for this reason, but still get the twin packs from Sams when the price gets really low and I buy a case of them to stock up.

Wild boar tastes gamey, but I doubt a restaurant was serving boar without advertising it to make it sound all "exotic" and charge extra for it.

Thanks, guys. I like the flavor of pork, I just don't like that strong, fatty, flavor (what ever it is) and the best part is the burping of it. You can enjoy the meal over and over again for several hours. lol

Fresh pork flavor like that from well cooked shoulder or broiled pork loin is good stuff. But, every once in a while you run into that "porky fatty" (is that a better description?) flavor that just sucks.

I did buy some ribs from Wegmans a while back that had it and I decided not to buy Wegman ribs again because of it. Maybe I will look for the lighter color meat from Wegmans and give that a try.

Back