Turn in ribs, Grilled or not

DBrentster

Got Wood.
Reaction score
We are fairly new but am wondering if the general consensus is to give ribs a quick direct heat char before turning in?

In our first three comps, we didnt but was wondering if anyone does this...or is this taboo.

When "finishing" my ribs, I apply the sauce and put on somewhat direct heat for a couple of minutes to set the sauce. The idea is not to char the ribs, just to thicken the coating of sauce. Don't leave on long enough to ruin the ribs you just spent hours trying to get right. That's just what I do, I hope this helps. ex

My ribs go from the smoker to the cutting board to the box.

You should definitely let the sauce setup, but I do not recommend grilling them as the chance to burn the sauce increases greatly. Basically you want to bake the sauce coating on.

Many sucessful cooks have used the method. The fact is no one here knows. New judges every week, different tables, ect. Do what you like, and if it doesn't work in your area after 4 or 5 contests, do something different.

Thanks guys. I think when its finishing time I'll try to move the ribs closer to the hot side of the BBC Offset so the sauce can "bake in"

Quick char good thing !!!!!

Howdy, It adds a little flair to the ribs, but just for a second or two.

Charlie :-D

I used a grill to set the sauce last year, and never placed in 4 contests. Started using the smoker to set the sauce and have placed in the top ten 3 out of 4 contests so far this year. Go figure, My preference was on the grill.

Back