• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Competition as a CBJ

I have been told that if you don't sauce you will not win??? In KCBS land

Ron_L said:
Interesting info! Now for the big question... For the top entries, were they just pork, or doctored in some way? I always add sauce and seasoning at home since that's they way I like it, but I'm wondering what the judges think about that. When watching the All Star BBQ Showdown, I don't think the competitors on the show sauced the pork. Some served sauce on the side, but I think that was it.

Thanks!

Ron.....there was no way for me to tell what entry won but I will say this. Out of the 5 our table judged, the ones that were liked were the ones that looked moist. They either had their own moisture or they were sprayed or were covered in a very light coating of sauce. Not too thick a coat. They also had a little something else in there besides the normal pork taste....like they had been marinated or injected or both. Same went for the brisket. The entries that looked moist did the best at our table.

I agree with Richie. The moist entries do seem to fair better in both pork and brisket. And there is a difference between moist and wet. A little goes a long way.

I hate to just say thanks when the work that went into it is so obvious , but I am overwhelmed enough I have to think a while to even have intelligent thoughts so I will stick to WOW and Thanks!!!!

slat said:
I agree with Richie. The moist entries do seem to fair better in both pork and brisket. And there is a difference between moist and wet. A little goes a long way.

I was trying to think of the words to describe it earlier and it finally came to me. When I say it looked moist it looked like it was sweating. Not to where you could see it sloshing in the bottom of the box but enough to make the meat glisten.

thanks for the

great report--good hearing what goes on in the judging tent
thaks
Buzz

Attachments

• sparta pork.JPG
    sparta pork.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 94
My limited judging experience suggests that a shiny glaze is very helpful and submitting more than 6 pieces (for the T/c, vols, etc) puts the judges into a good mood.

Looking forward to meeting you guys at Hermann

Buzz has illustrated what I was referring to very well in the pic above.

Richie,
I'm new to this forum and have been browsing the files. I really appreciate your post. It's good to see it from the judge's view.

Glad you enjoyed it, Bill. I went back and did the same competition this year and had a blast. Little bit bigger this year but still one of the smaller comps with about 30 teams total. Of course, I didn't get a rib this year like I did last year but I did get a chicken thigh that had skin on it with the same texture as a piece of inner tube. Other than that, everything was mostly 7's, 8's and 9's. Had one rib I gave all 9's to and one piece of brisket that I gave all 9's too. Whoever did that brisket, nailed it. It looked good, had that perfect "snap" to it when you pulled it apart and had an awesome flavor to it. It was a good time and I look forward to doing it again next year as well.

super job reporting, we will be expecting these reports from every contest you judge at. thank you very much

Back