• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First cook by myself

B

backporchbbq

Saturday I am doing my first cook by myself. I am taking ribs and chicken into work. They are a bunch of hungry EMT's and Paramedics. I am doing about 20 thighs, 6 racks of ribs and corn bread. I am thinking about using Texas Pecan or Texas Post Oak, I won in the auction. I am a little nervous, I have never cooked my myself, I have always had my brother or dad with me.

Any pointers?

Have plenty of beer on hand. What are you cooking on? You have the experience..everything will turn out great.

I would save the post oak for beef. Pecan is somewhat like hickory but milder, so should be great for both the ribs and thighs.

Depending on the size of your smoker, six racks of ribs is quite a few for a first time cook. You might consider a pork shoulder if you have the time to smoke it.

I am sure you will get good advice here and everything will turn out great. Good luck.

Josh you will do fine. You do a good job at Comps. and at the house. You know how to do it

Just dont get in a hurry that what I always did when I first started.

Sounds like some of your brethren friends are confident you will be fine, so relax and have fun doing what you already know what to do. My only advise would be to not use the oak wood. Very quickly it can get bitter as usually it is more for heat than flavor. Just my $.02.

Post oak for beef. Pecan for ribs and poultry. Use the power of the Q....You can do it!

I would use the pecan for the ribs and bird,good luck on the smoke!!

Thanks for the wood advise. I don't have time to cook the shoulder, I have half a day and need to get the food to work. We have a meadow creek TS120. I have cooked before, just never alone. I always had other people to thow in their suggestions and comments.

I would save the post oak for beef. Pecan is somewhat like hickory but milder, so should be great for both the ribs and thighs.

Depending on the size of your smoker, six racks of ribs is quite a few for a first time cook. You might consider a pork shoulder if you have the time to smoke it.

I am sure you will get good advice here and everything will turn out great. Good luck.

Take the best of the advise and toss the rest. If you have been doing it with help for any time at all, you know what you are doing. Take a deep breath, a big swig of beer, and put some meat on the grate! Everything will come out fine.

By the way, Smokey Hale says that stress causes your meat to be tough, so realx!

Get your fire going, check your temp., get our meat ready, and sit back and enjoy.
Drink your beer, check your smoker, and be patient.
Worst case scenario, you try it again and again.

We can be our own worst critics!
Best of Luck!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will make sure I will post pron later tonight when I prep the ribs, and tomorrow during the cook.

Relax have fun and start the cook early enough that it will be done in time to take it to work. It will be very good

Well the first cook is going Ok I guess. The temps of the grill do not want to cooperate. The BB have been on for 2 1/2 hrs. I think when there is an hour left, I am going to wrap them, sprinkle some apple juice and brown sugar on them. Then at the very end sauce them and stick them on for 20 mins.

Chicken I am not worried about that is very very easy.

We shall see, I am trying a new rub, only time will tell. I wanted to post pron but I lost the cable for my camera. Once I buy a new one this week I will post pron.

Please let us know how the final product turns out. Pron would help us visualize!!:-D How's the Peecan Sweet Blue for ya?

You got this brother so no need to stress. Do things as you usually do and the results will be great.

Food turned out very good, finished before I was planning on it. But the ribs were very tender. The chicken was very moist, I left the lid up for a minute and it caught on fire, so it is not only smoked but blackened. I have some pron and once I get a cord for the computer and camera I will post pron. My batteries also ran out for my camera so I unfortunately do not have the finished product. But I will post what I have ASAP.

Back