I Got Asked To Cook The Barbecue.....

N8man

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
for a High School graduation party....50+ hungry young adults...

How many poke butts/pounds do you suppose I need to cook?

To me, being asked to cook for this kind of celebration is the best compliment I can get - congratulations for being asked to do the gig! I did my sons' graduation rehearsal luncheon for 60+ last week. Pulled pork sandwiches & chicken. I cooked 6@8 pound butts after trimming some thick fat that made 2@3-1/2 deep full sized foil pans after pulling and 60 pieces of chicken quarters, plus a full foil pan of slaw and a full foil pan of beans. Too much pulled pork and chicken (had a full pan of pulled pork and 28 pieces of chicken as leftovers); just right on the sides. So, I'm thinking 4@8 pound butts and you will be in good shape.

Are the butts the main dish or will there be other meats? I cooked 3-8# last week for 50 but they had a ton of appetizers and there was plenty of pork. Everyone enjoyed!

Butts are it...plus whatever sides and stuff the hosts scare up...
I'm responsible for the cooking of the barbecue meat only.....

I would say you should be good with 5-6 butts based on my experience. Should be able to make at least 15-20 sandwiches per butt and thats being conservative.

It all depends on how hungry they are and how good a cook you are. I cooked for a group once and picked up extra as I don't mind leftovers. I had 1.5lbs per person cooked weight and they cleaned me out. The scary thing is that half were women and children. :shock:

If you cook 5 or 6 good size butts you will be in good shape, with prolly a little bit left over.

Based on an assumption that it is 50/50 boys to girls, and that there are healthy boys.

I am going to say figure on 1/2 pound finished per person (normally I would figure 1/3# per person, but, that assumes a spectrum).

50 people x .5 pounds = 25 pounds finished meat total.

assuming 40 percent loss in cooking

25lbs x 1.6 = 40 pounds raw pork (assuming bone-in)

Assuming 8 pounds per butt, you would need 5 butts.

My kids (three beautiful girls) when they graduated had a lot of boys show up and those guys ATE. I would use a teen male multiplier of x2.5

I use a standard formula of 12 people per butt, which would mean 4 butts for 48, since it is your only meat I would add one for safe measure for a total of five butts.

I would go with 5 butts if they are around 10 lbs each. It might not hurt while you are at it and toss on some Kielbasa Sausage ( 7 -8) with some of your rub for the last hour or so. That is always a winner IMHO.

5 or 6 butts at 8 pounds each will be right on target with some extra for you to take home. Always better to have too much than not enough. It's the + after the 50 that can be scary!

Good Luck!

The 40 to 50# uncooked weight sounds about right to me, just wanna throw in that it may not be a bad idea to have a box of hot links or something like that on hand for backup - if you're running low they cook real quick. If you don't need 'em, just chuck 'em in the freezer for later.

Back