View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #19
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Egg
... slightly weird question ..... can you tell which tt's are in the bin if you don't know what went in? ( assuming it's only one type ...not a mix). I have not tried to smell them closely to try to tell. There was about 2/3 bin full when I brought 075 home and I wasn't sure what they were. I might forget between cooks ... maybe it's a good idea to scoop out most of any remaining tt's and put them back in the bag?
Generally, I can't. My oak pellets are from a different maker. They are longer in size than my apple and hickory. So I can generally see the oak from the size, but I think that's because of the two different brands. The apple and hickory look the same. They don't smell to me. Just like two pieces of wood generally won't smell different until you burn them... at least to me.

Slightly off topic, I do a lot of woodworking and have worked with Zebrawood, an African exotic wood. The saw dust smells like manure. Very distinct and stinky.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote