The new (again) revised pork rule for 2014

Is the new revised pork rule good for BBQ?

• Yes!

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • No!

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Pork is now a grilling contest

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Nothing changes for me

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Farker!

Votes: 8 6.8%

• Total voters
As a judge, I am having a hard time thinking about seeing a box with just MM in it. It would almost be like seeing a box with just burnt ends.

I guess it would be "ok", but I think a box with other parts of the item would better represent the overall cook, and their ability to cook it.

The rule seemed fine the way it was. Don't think I'll change, but, time will tell (not that I am a major competitor in any catagory, but I plan on getting there :mrgreen: )

Just my 2 cents...........

wallace

Judges should be judging what is presented and only what is presented and not making assumtions about why something is or isn't in the box and scoring the entry based upon their assumptions.

We have all heard these statements and 100's more like them.
"I marked it down because there weren't any burnt ends."
"Thick sliced brisket, must be over done."
"No skin on the chicken? Guess they can't cook chicken skin"
"No sliced money muscle? a 2 point deduction"

So we go from pork that must weigh at least 5 lbs. that doesn't have to be cooked whole to pork that has to be cooked whole but doesn't have to weigh at least 5 lbs.?

What the fark Board? :doh:

It seems that it all comes down to the MM and whether it is parted, cooked separately, only MM is cooked, blab, blab, blab, etc, etc, etc...I have never understood the issue at all? As long as Any team can do what Any other team can do, it just makes no sense to me. So the MM is some Golden piece of meat that teams win with, great, all have the opportunity to do it!

What am I missing?

I really don't understand all this panty-wadding over this 'new' rule.

If I thought that having the meat from 4 money muscles was going to help me get a top-5 pork call every contest, I wouldn't think twice about spending another $40 in meat to guarantee a call.

I could trim all 4 butts down to where the MM was barely attached, I could be cooking legally (within old rules) and have basically the same thing as all you who are worried about some door being opened think is going to happen.

A person with a creative mind can work within the rules and produce a high quality product while all the whiners are sitting around wondering who's doing what...

I suppose I see what they are trying to do with it, but I don't see any way of wording it that will not cause confusion and/or allow for "creative interpretation". Make folks show up with whole butts or shoulders, and cook them how they want... let the judging sort it out.

I have to disagree. The skill set in cooking pork shoulder is being able to take the whole piece and cook it well. Lets face it the original intent was a whole shoulder. Unfortunately finding a whole shoulder isn't always the easiest thing so they allowed the two portions but never intended to allow the piece to be trimmed into smaller portions to get the cook you want. By allowing any technique you dumb down the skills needed and make it "easybake" BBQ.

Judges should be judging what is presented and only what is presented and not making assumtions about why something is or isn't in the box and scoring the entry based upon their assumptions.

We have all heard these statements and 100's more like them.
"I marked it down because there weren't any burnt ends."
"Thick sliced brisket, must be over done."
"No skin on the chicken? Guess they can't cook chicken skin"
"No sliced money muscle? a 2 point deduction"

Yes, yes, I know. And be rest assured, that is the way we judge/score. We do NOT score up or down based on "missing things", or the like.

We score the way we want to be scored!

You wont hear any of those statements from us.

wallace

They should have done this latest virson but left the 5lb minnium in as well.

With the rule as it is written, I wounder when some online meat source is going to start marketing just the money muscle in a 3 pack cryovac

A money muscle would not pass inspection based on this rule. The rule says "whole" pork butt. No one could consider a money muscle being a whole pork butt. That said, agree that keeping the 5lb rule would make it clearer.

I do like the general direction where cook it whole but its OK to place cooked portions back on the pit.

I really don't understand all this panty-wadding over this 'new' rule.

If I thought that having the meat from 4 money muscles was going to help me get a top-5 pork call every contest, I wouldn't think twice about spending another $40 in meat to guarantee a call.

I could trim all 4 butts down to where the MM was barely attached, I could be cooking legally (within old rules) and have basically the same thing as all you who are worried about some door being opened think is going to happen.

A person with a creative mind can work within the rules and produce a high quality product while all the whiners are sitting around wondering who's doing what...

I think part of it is folks who don't like the new rule in general. And as long as the rule is the same for everyone it doesn't really matter to me. Not a big deal.

The other part of the discussion I see is where folks question the new rule because is isn't very clear or modified/changed/updated in such a way that makes more sense than the previous rule.

Thats not creativity thats exploitation of a rule in a manner not intended. Butterflying the money muscle down to a single strand attachment is not cooking whole in anyones book. Its not creative and the reason we are in this 4 year battle over the rule.

computertragedy.gif

"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

So I read this as the money muscle still has to be attached when it starts cooking. Is that correct? If so, it says once cooked stuff can be separated. What defines "cooked"? A specific temp? I thought the big change was that people could just be cooking money muscles completely separate and not have to wait till the whole butt is "cooked".

Either way doesn't really matter to me. Just wanting to know what they mean :p.

That's how I read it!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Ok reading this over I realize something quite interesting. This rule seems to be very similar to the BBQ-Brethren rule set which has served its event flawlessly in the past few years. Many cooks like the extra clarity and the fact that the rule is still a guideline rather than a directive. Many of the original KCBS rules as well as the BBQ-Brethren rules were/are written as general guideline which assumes there is integrity among teams/cooks to participate in a fair manner. The previous inceptions of the pork rule seemed to call into question all the team integrity rather then offer them a proper course of action.
I think they took a good direction here, albeit without the 5 lb rule which probably should have remained.
Let me see if I can find the brethren rule set and post a link. I think they are nearly the same.

BBQ Brethren Rulebook said:
Pork
Pork is defined as a Whole Shoulder, Butt, or Boston Butt, or Picnic.

Starting weight must be 5.25 lb. minimum. Tenderloins, Loins and pre-trimmed "money muscles" are not permitted. Pork must be cooked whole to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, after which it may be manipulated and finished at the cook’s discretion. For health safety, a temperature of 145 must be maintained until delivery to the judges.

Pork may be submitted as a combination of styles or single style; such as Pulled, Sliced, Chopped or Diced. Bark, the outer layer of the pork, is also acceptable as part of your entry.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/rules.pdf <~~~if anyone wants to see more.

As you can see there is a bit more wording but the intent is the same.

Shhhhhhh...we already know you shigged NTHOLE's secret cooking method but you don't have to be broadcastiong it like that...

I must be so good at shiggin that I can do it without knowing and on people I don't know personally at contests i didn't attend :razz::razz::razz::grin:

Hey Skip.... I ain't in a 4-year battle over the rule. My team cooks pork following the current rules and will continue to do so. From reading stuff here and seeing how many butts many teams cook, we probably don't follow the procedure many to and I'm willing to bet we put similar portions in the box.

We've done fairly well in the pork category over the last 24-30 months, I don't see much changing in our camp....new rule or not.

Carry on, I'll continue to watch the show from the bleachers when I'm bored.

Pork
Pork is defined as a Whole Shoulder, Butt, or Boston Butt, or Picnic.
Starting weight must be 5.25 lb. minimum. Tenderloins, Loins and pre-trimmed "money muscles" are not permitted. Pork must be cooked whole to 145 degrees Fahrenheit, after which it may be manipulated and finished at the cook’s discretion. For health safety, a temperature of 145 must be maintained until delivery to the judges.
Pork may be submitted as a combination of styles or single style; such as Pulled, Sliced, Chopped or Diced.
Bark, the outer layer of the pork, is also acceptable as part of your entry.

Psssst.....KCBS Board....look how easy this is. :eusa_clap

Nudge....nudge...

Basically everyone will interpret the rule as they wish... 90% of the KCBS rules are not enforceable anyway... Cheaters will always cheat.

The rule is straightforward. Cook a WHOLE piece of meat. Once it's cooked do whatever you want with it within food safety guidelines.

TRIMMING does not equal PARTING.

A money muscle would not pass inspection based on this rule. The rule says "whole" pork butt. No one could consider a money muscle being a whole pork butt. That said, agree that keeping the 5lb rule would make it clearer.

I do like the general direction where cook it whole but its OK to place cooked portions back on the pit.

Here's the rule:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those.

Now, the rule states it must be cooked "whole" but "after trimming." Now , with no weight limit, it could be argued that trimming the butt down to just the MM would be allowed. There is nothing stating how big the butt needs to be, or that the butt needs to be a whole butt. Heck, if I trim anything edible from a butt, or a brisket, or my spare ribs, am I not cooking a less-than-whole piece of meat? A competitor wanting to not play within the spirit of the rule but instead wanting to play semantics could just say he took the butt and trimmed off the part he didn't want to use, everything except the MM portion, and then cooked the remainder as a whole to 145, and then split the MM in half to get more bark.

So, now what is the definition of trimming? lol

Back