Ok brethren help me decide!

Cuebacca

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My brother in law is stopping by on his way home for fall break from college. He wants me to BBQ something for him (I feel pretty good that he really wants me to cook something for him). I was thinking ribs, baby backs to be exact, and Moinks as a treat while the ribs are cooking. But then I started to think about turkey legs because they look delicious.

So do you guys have any suggestions for me on something different to smoke? Remember that I have a little experience smoking, a few racks of ribs, a few pork butts, meatloaf and fish...so don't make it something really crazy.

Thanks guys and gals!

I'd recommend against turkey legs. The process isn't as straight foward as it seems. Pork butt, ABTs, a fatty, BBs, a chucky, a brisket, or even some delicious chicken wings would be good choices.

I'd go with something you are comfortable with and that is sure to please. I'm not a huge turkey leg fan but that is just me. I'd go for the ribs but try some meaty spares instead of baby backs. If you haven't tried making pig shots or candied bacon that would also be fun.

Hmm..you guys are right. I should just go with something I know how to do. I thought I would maybe switch it up, but that could be bad haha. Looks like ribs and Moinks are going to be it! Now I need to think up a good rub for the Moinks.

Thanks guys! Also thanks for a heads up against turkey legs!

It's MOINKS! Don't let BBQ Grail catch you getting that wrong! Just sayin', that's all.

+1 on sticking with what ya know. All my friends know me as the guy who is always talking about BBQ so when they come over i like to make something i know will turn out good. personally i'd go with a pork butt, they are hard to mess up imo

maybe tri-tip....because i'm obsessed with it lately :wacko:

good luck and remember, pics or it didnt happen

+1 on sticking to what you know! I never try anything new for other people. I only experiment when cooking for my wife and I.

Chris

Boshizzle, could you start a thread on doing turkey legs. I'm curious on how to make them.

Thanks

What is a moink?

The name comes from "Moo plus oink".

An assortment of MOINKs (use various rubs and sauces for dipping) are an easy appetizer. And i like spares (more meat and easier to cook) better than Baby backs.

:shock:

Holy crap you guys are amazing! I had never heard of a fatty until I came here, but then I realized I knew them by the name "bacon explosion". I never knew what Moinks were until here and now they're high on my to-smoke list, but these pig shots? Wow. I'm a little upset I'm not eating one right now.

Sorry to hijack, Cuebaca.

Wings are also great. I have tried Oakridge bbq's method, and it turned out wonderful. Whole chicken is quite easy and pleases most people.

Stick with what you know this time because he asked you to cook for him and you want to feel confident in what you are serving.
Now, having said that... also throw on a naked fatty as an appetizer. Unwrap your favorite bulk sausage and toss it on the pit - let it go till it's 165 or so and slice. You can get fancy and stuff it and wrap it in bacon, but try one naked. Easy, no muss, no fuss, and sooooo good.
Congrats on being asked to cook for him.

Ribs, for sure, and some monks. Those pig shots do look good, but for some reason seeing that post makes my back hurt. ;)

Back