I love fall weekends

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This weekend was the Ohio Sauerkraut Festival, where over 360,000 people come to the town near where I live, with a population of 2200. It's a big festival! Only local nonprofits do food for the festival, and we had our usual sauerkraut pizza, reubens and sauerkraut sundaes (mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, pork).

I also drove around and took some fall shots, then made apple dumplings on the Bubba Keg this evening... Here are shots that I have:

4000240038_1952317734_b.jpg

4002804501_cd1f83c840_b.jpg

4002804915_66e683e88d_b.jpg

4000240520_c18c828f11_b.jpg

4002805731_a9fcba3e07_b.jpg

4003569086_33655cfff8_b.jpg

Beautiful pictures! I wouldn't mind going to a sauerkraut festival. MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Brats and a beer!

Well, the downside is that the town is dry, so no beer. :) But I brought a reuben home to have with a glass of Nosferatu ale.

Wow! I haven't been in a dry county for several years. Thank God!

Unlike KY and TN, here in Ohio it seems to be towns that are dry. I grew up in a small town north of Dayton that was dry, but we had great drive-thrus around that made it easy to find good beer. One of them actually had the town limits go through their property, and the building was outside the limits, so they could sell beer.

Most excellent pics sir! Fall is (and has always been) my favorite time of the year! :p Are those Jeanie's dumplings? I'm gonna have to make some here shortly. :p

Beautiful pictures Curt! Your dumplins look tasty too! :-D

JD, they're my own dumplings... I just used the pie crust I like, cut it, put apples I put through the apple peeler corer slicer, added some flour, cinnamon and Turbinado sugar, then wrapped in the crust. I thought about doing an egg wash, but decided against it.

The crust is easy:

1 1/2 sticks unslated butter, cut into 1/4" chunks and put in the freezer until very cold (about 10-15 minutes).
2 cups ap flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cane sugar
1/3 cup ice cold water

Put the dry ingredients together and mix with a fork. Add chunks of butter, blending with your hand or a pastry blender until the flour mix is crumbly. Add the water and blend with a fork until just combined.

That"s one of the things I miss down here, is the change of seasons, no color change,, we only have 2 seasons here, tourist season and non tourist season,lol...

WOW. Gorgeous pics. That tree almost seems like its reaching out at ya! 'Kraut.......I love the stuff. Dry county only means you need to come prepared. That sounds like my kinda festival. The pics are..........WOW as always!!

Again, it's just the very small town that's dry. In fact, the grocery in town has a variance that allows them to sell beer and wine.

While it's the antique capital of the midwest, or something like that, there have been a couple fancier restaurants try to open up. The tourists like it, but when he shops close at 6, the town itself doesn't support fancier places, and they don't last. At its heart, it's just a simple small town, which is part of its charm, I think. A bar of any sort would lead to more trouble than anything.

And with 360,000 people at a festival, serving beer would be a problem. The crowd is so packed in, some yahoo would haul off and get into a fight.

And I'm glad you guys like the fall shots. We're not New England, but we get nice fall colors, too.

OK - now I know what I am doing with my day off.....

What kind of apples did you use?

Great picture- also my favorite time- good food, good beer, and a good cigar- what more could a man ask for.

OK - now I know what I am doing with my day off.....

What kind of apples did you use?

I used Winesap... But Northern Spy or Ida Red apples would be great, too.. or just pick your favorite pie apple.

Back